Southwest now allows you to fly w/ small animals for $75

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't fly very often, but yay for those that do and need to bring their critters with. ^_^

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Good news! You would also think they would WANT to make extra money!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:26 pm

The article I read in my paper said it was allowing small dogs and cats only? No guinea pigs other exotics grr. They have to fit in a carrier under your seat.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh no! Here's another article: http://travel.latimes.com/articles/sns- ... 3-wk1-jun2 it says cats and dogs, but it doesn't say "only." What article did you read? And why aren't you posting baby pictures :P

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Aw momma is hiding the babies in the cozy. I have to pluck them out soon to wash it but I don't want to disturb them.

It was a local article but it says dogs and cats only.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Sorry, their website says:

"Southwest Airlines will only accept small cats and dogs in carriers that can be stowed under the Customer’s seat."

Wonder if we can attempt to pass guinea pigs off as a "small cat"

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah, do they really check? Can't you just say the critter is scared/ not friendly to strangers or something. I wouldn't want to be refused last minute and not have a backup but do they really check? Unless the pig starts wheeking during boarding. That's a giveaway.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

I flew with a puppy. Not a SINGLE person from the airline looked at my puppy. The only people who saw her were the terminal folks when I went through initial security and they dont give a rats behind what you have in your carrier as long as its not explosive, flammable, etc. . I would think it would be simple to go with anything. We had made a carrier cover for our carrier to make sure it was dark for Beauty to make her more apt to sleep.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I traveled with a cat once and they made us take her out so they could inspect the carrier :/

zazzified

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Yeah I wouldn't count on them not checking, personally.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 am

Especially if you're flying interstate, I bet they'd check. Good luck flying into California with gerbils, ferrets, or hedgehogs for example.

If you have a DSM-IV diagnosis and a letter and license number from a mental health or other healthcare professional, you may be able to transport your pigs as a "emotional support animal."