barbells

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:17 pm

Yes we did discuss this in the dumpster pigs thread. But the possibility of it being airborne (and also the thing about pigs being carriers) wasn't in the discussion. My vet didn't mention either of these things. I understood that it was spread by contact and curable.

The downstairs pig (Sebastian) has had his lumps aspirated.

We are facing some horrible decisions right now. Volunteers are panicking. Some of their pigs were in contact with these pigs. I have a feeling all hell is about to break loose. I can't even move from this chair.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:19 pm

Don't panic until you need to. I don't remember airborne being a possibility either, until the damn things were ruptured or opened.

Deep breath.

Remember, you don't even have a diagnosis yet.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:21 pm

Did you get my email?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:23 pm

The only thing we don't know is the type of organism.

We do know that it is an infection of the lymph nodes. We do know that it was brought in by the dumpster pigs. Sebastian was separated from those boys about 2 weeks ago, but a couple of them are just now starting to show symptoms.

I emailed Josephine and Fenella (to see if she noticed the lumps before she sent the sow to us).

I also cancelled the adoptions and sent the adopters elsewhere.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:26 pm

Are there any other lymph nodes affected? Pebbles had huge lymph nodes under her arms, under her neck ,and a couple in her groin. Not CL.

Go feel up the pig and see if the nodes right behind her little armpits are swollen.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:29 pm

Ok, it's probably me who is stupid, but I was convinced it was airborn as soon as the abcess was opened. No? Sebastian's was opened, no? So that would send contageous particules into the air, getting to Phyllis. No?

Don't panic just yet, I might very well be wrong about this. It's just what I sorta kinda remembered, so don't quote me on this.

Paisley

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:29 pm

Charybdis,

I've tried to find out whether transmission by aerosol is before or after the lymph absesses burst but I haven't found the answer to that question. I'm really sorry...

I'll search a little more but I'll have to get off the computer soon.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:34 pm

It doesn't really matter. If Sebastian's CL got upstairs somehow (air conditioner?) then the possibility is that all the pigs have it.

KM, yes I got your email and replied. Thank you.

I felt her armpits. No swellings there. None of the dumpster pigs have swollen armpits either, just around the throat and jaw.

If I had known that this was airborne, there is no way that those dumpster pigs would even be in my house.

Itchy and Scratchy are up there too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:34 pm

Paisley's information makes it seem (to me at least) that even if it's aerosolized, what really matters is if the other pigs have anywhere the bacterium can invade.

Of course, the conjunctiva is always kind of exposed, I suppose...

I hope you have enough antibiotics for everyone and nobody else gets it, Chary.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:36 pm

No, E, I had the same info as you, that is was not contagious until AFTER they were opened.

But I believe she said that Sebastian is downstairs, and she bleaches herself before other pigs.

So, is that to say that Sebastian should have been in another house? I understand airborne, for some reason I would have thought on another level behind close doors you would be safe.

This must be some really nasty stuff.

Is Sebastian a CL pig? I can't keep track of the sick ward at your house, Chary. I thought all the CL pigs were together.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:37 pm

I'm really hoping I'm wrong, Chary. For now, though, panicking just won't do any good. Take a stiff drink and calm down. You'll deal with it if and when you need to. For now, you need to keep a clear head.
I'm really hoping this is just a scare.

Pigglies

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:39 pm

Oh cr@p.

Some things are spread through air once something has burst, that could be possible. But, none actually bursts right? They were aspirated on the other pig, and I'm guessing the junk was disposed of and never would have come into contact with this pig.

Now I know why we often have to throw away our cloth chairs in exam rooms at the animal hospital if a very contagious disease patient comes in. Some stuff is just so risky... maybe also spray any surfaces that the infected pigs could have been on (like your computer desk if you put them up there while holding them and typing ever) with Lysol or something?
Gosh we need a diagnosis of this! Darn holidays!