barbells

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:40 pm

OK, I read again. During my reply you posted and answered. So Sebastian is the only one who has had abscessed opened, so actually, he is the only contagious one, IF it's airborne.

What is the incubation period of CL?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:43 pm

I really hope this is all a scare. If this stuff was airborne.. Rocky and all of my pigs may be infected as well.

I checked all of my pigs, no abcess-like lump anywhere above the waist.

Please dont panic yet Chary. We dont know for sure. Phyllis very well may just have a very unfortunately coincidental abcess...

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:55 pm

one lump would be bad enough. two lumps together is a very serious sign, although Josephine did write that there could be other causes.

Yes, Sebastian is a CL pig. We separated him before we aspirated his lumps. Cynthia and I did it in the downstairs bathroom wearing gloves and using lots of alcohol. The needles and gloves were immediately disposed of.

We have found an ER vet in South Pasadena who will aspirate the lumps (for a $95 exam fee, dear God) and send them out for cytology. The problem is, once we open those cysts, she becomes potentially very contagious. The only place I could isolate her would be a) outside--much too hot, or b) in the upstairs bathroom, which is adjoining the room where the dumpster pigs and itchy and scratchy are. But I still have to open that door from time to time if I want to shower and pee.

Pigglies

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:01 pm

What about isolation at the animal hospital after aspiration (maybe wait sometime if it's not dangerous until she's been aspirated)?

You could always blame the evil neighbor. Not sure what good it would do, but she needs blaming for something.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:03 pm

Vals got a point, maybe the vet clinic will keep Phy until the results come? How long does a cystology take?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:06 pm

I've never had it take longer than half a week. They even told me about Doom's the other day, and he was only operated on on Tuesday. The first aspirate of his lump took a couple of days for the results.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:15 pm

we can't afford to board her. we're looking into other options.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:19 pm

Do you have friends without pigs who could pigsit her for a few days?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:21 pm

That's what we're trying to find out.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:39 pm

Ok, this question has come up:

If it's strep, it's zoonotic, right? So other people and animals can catch it if the abscess is opened?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:43 pm

I think it's a different strep than the one that causes sore throats in people.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:51 pm

can anyone find this out for sure?