barbells

Pigglies

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:57 pm

Here is all I found
Strep Throat--Though your pet is probably not the culprit bringing strep into your household each year, the possibility does exist. Recently, researchers have found that it's more likely that people are infecting their pets. In any case, keep your children from kissing, licking or exchanging food by mouth with their pets.

briana d

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:04 am

I know Linda (Zoe) has had to deal with this.

Here is her post in the reference forum: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=769

Good luck.

[briana d, change your bookmarks to the www.guinealynx.info address and drop the temporary inspire address -- Lynx]

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:04 am

Problem is, as Charandmin pointed out, we don't know what this is.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:10 am

I'm just wondering what it's going to look like once you get little gas masks for all the CL pigs. Do you think they make those white ones in GP size?

What a mess, I'm so sorry.

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:17 am

I'm still looking for people without any pets to take the pig. But the only people I know without pets all also have weak immune systems.
From what I've been finding online, the one for swine is definitely zoonotic and so probably so is any type of strep with guinea pigs. Don't you catch it either!

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:06 am

Sh*t

What else! When my "wild" pig was so sick and they thought it was pastruella, I was numb, stunned and sick to my stomach at what might be the possible consequences. It was my worst nightmare as I am sure that this is yours.

I've had no experience with this but I am so sorry that it has been so hard on you lately.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:19 am

Very funny, KM.

I moved the sow. It could be my imagination, but I think the lumps have gotten bigger in the past few hours.

Fenella wants to come up here and get her. I don't think she understands the seriousness of it. She has something like 80 pigs and can't endanger them.

Thanks, Julian. Yes this is my worst nightmare, aside from the one where all the pigs get mixed in together and start breeding. It could mean the end of this rescue.

Jezza

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:21 am

Damn Nikki I'm so sorry.

Hopefully this turns out to be just an abcess and not CL. I'm reading up on it right now, maybe I can contribute something helpful later.

Amy called me and I checked my pigs for lumps and didn't find anything. Perhaps a good sign.

Good luck,

Rachel

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:35 am

Rachel, glad you posted. Be extra vigilant about your pigs, as Declan traveled around in Cynthia's car for 3 hours with the ladies from Fenella. You'll want to feel all along the jaw, under the chin, underneath the ears and in the armpits. Let me know if you notice anything.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:27 am

I need to find out a few things and since I don't have my vet to talk to until next week, hopefully some of you early birds and avid researchers will throw in your two cents. I've got my hands full here trying to feed, medicate, bandage, and quarantine everyone.

1) What is the incubation period of CL? I need to find out how long I will have to quarantine all the pigs in my house to make sure that they are not affected.

2) What is the recovery time? How long should a pig with CL be on antibiotics before they are considered 'cured'? When the lumps disappear? One week after? Two weeks?

3) How can I find out if a guinea pig is a carrier?

4) The surgical option of removing the lumps encapsulated greatly reduces the chances of transmission. If we were able somehow to get that done for this sow, could she be quarantined in the same bathroom as Sebastian? His lumps have pretty much disappeared. Is he in danger of catching it again, or will he have an immunity? Is he 'cured' yet?

And more bad news. Rowan, one of the dumpster boys, developed a lump on the middle of his throat a few days ago. Despite being on Baytril for 2 weeks, it is getting bigger every day. It looks like that will have to be aspirated/removed too. And I'm not doing it, because it's right on his throat. I'm afraid I would kill him.

Cindi

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:08 am

Charybdis, do you have a garage? Or an outside building? I have to keep my GPs in my attached garage with the door leading into the kitchen sealed off with plastic and tape due to my son's allergies and asthma.

Our weather has been in the low 90's and most days I only have to use a tall osciallating fan for them to keep them comfortable. A couple of days, I put a frozen jug in a dishpan behind the fan and that worked well to keep them cool. They haven't showed any signs of overheating at all with these measures.

Just thought it if you had a building outside, this might help you with the isolation problem.

Cindi

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:07 am

briana d, change your book mark for this site. You put up a link using the temporary inspire address. If we ever move the forums again, it will be dead. Bookmark www.guinealynx.info/forums and you should be fine.

By the way, I don't know what I was thinking about the strep. Yes, guinea pigs can get it from us (more likely) so it is possible we could get it from them, though less likely. More proof (as if you needed any) that I don't always remember all the details.