barbells

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:44 am

After all this CL-dumpster pig-mite boy fiasco is over, I think all of Chary's fosters and board members need to send her on vacation.

charandmin

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:50 am

I think the biggest thing about figuring out the incubation is that we have to clean everything. The bacteria could be living anywhere, including the carpets etc. Once we're satisfied everything is clean and we don't pop anymore lumps it shouldn't take too long to see if it spread.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:52 am

Keep me posted on how everything goes. I got to work all day but I'll be pretty free tomorrow if you guys need my help.
Good luck at the vet.

Becky

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:30 pm

Something from out of left field...

Do you know if these dumpster pigs ever had hay before coming to you guys?

If not, is it at all possible they're having problems dealing with the hay and getting abcesses from the hay?

Just a (hopeful) thought.

About the only thing I can contribute is that Dr. Otten told me, when I suspected Scout and Buttercup of CL, that it was rare to spread if the lumps were intact.

So, I'm wondering if there's less of a danger with the many pigs around who weren't exposed post-aspiration?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:11 pm

I think there is definitely less of a danger pre-aspiration. However, should the lumps become large, it is necessary to do it.

Becky, I don't know if they had hay but they began eating it immediately when I gave it to them, as sign of familiarity. But since they have been eating KM's bluegrass, I think a hay poke it probably not the thing. And Sebastian's lumps were equal in size, one under each ear. It's just too ominous.

I did find one site last night that said that S. Zooepidemicus is only an animal illness.

Many sites said that 'depopulation' (here we go again) was needed, and one said that antibiotic therapies are useless. Scary.

One reference said that it takes 7-10 days on AB to heal. But Rowan has been on Baytril for that long and his lumps are getting BIGGER.

One site said that they are no longer contagious once the abscesses have gone away.

Cindi, I live in a condo with a carport.

Amy, if you can make it, I'll be glad for the help. 33 pigs on Baytril and 14 of those needing other meds/care is a bit much.

Is that like the understatement of the year?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:19 pm

*sigh*. I will try my best to get down there tomorrow.

As Kim stated in an email, is it possible for US to be carriers? Maybe we should bring a change of clothes?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:30 pm

It depends on what you mean by being a carrier.

I don't want to make assertions about this since I don't have all the information. But,

If it is not zoonotic, then you can't catch it.

If a pig's abscesses haven't been opened, it is much less contagious. And only Sebastian has had his abscesses lanced.

But I don't blame you if you don't want to come.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:37 pm

I will tried to come. I'll just washmy hands carefullly. The only thing that will keep me from coming is the fact that I am working OT in the morning and not sure when I am getting off.
I will let you know.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:53 pm

From Merck Vet Manual:

Lymphadenitis:
Inflammation and enlargement of the cervical lymph nodes is common in guinea pigs. The causative organism is usually b-hemolytic Streptococcus zooepidemicus , although other bacteria also may cause the condition. The organisms may gain entry to the lymphatics from abrasions of the oral mucosa or from the upper respiratory tract. Clinical findings are large, often unilateral swellings or abscesses in the ventral region of the neck. Otitis media and panophthalmitis also may be associated with cervical lymphadenitis. Microscopically, there is suppuration of the cervical lymph nodes. Diagnosis is based on clinical signs and isolation and identification of the causative organism. The use of abrasive materials in feed or litter should be avoided. In addition, upper respiratory tract infections should be prevented and controlled. Affected guinea pigs should be culled, because organisms from the draining abscesses may infect others in the colony. Antibiotic therapy generally is unrewarding because of the adverse effects of many antibiotics (see above). Cephaloridine (25 mg/kg body wt, IM, daily) is reported to be effective in controlling and eliminating the disease.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:06 pm

Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL) or "Lumps"

Cause and zoonosis:

* Most often caused by a Lancefield Group C Streptococcus called Streptococcus zooepidemicus. This bacteria is Gram-positive. There are other bacteria that have been found to cause CL, though. A culture would need to be done to identify the bacteria causing the CL.

* One source stated that Streptococcus zooepidemicus is only an animal pathogen. However, several sources stated that Group C Streptococcus, including Streptococcus zooepidemicus, may cause disease in humans.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:11 pm

Paisley, you are doing great. I love that you always do the research!

OK, one more biggie. What is the incubation period? How will Chary know when she's dodged the bullet? I can't find that info anywhere, and it is hugely important.

Anyone??