barbells

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:13 pm

YES I would love to know the incubation period too so I know if my pigs are out of the woods.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:13 pm

Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL) or "Lumps"

Incubation period:

I couldn't find anything specific to CL in guinea pigs. However, I did find Group C Streptococcus incubation periods in other animal species, such as fowl and horses. Group C Streptococcal incubation periods in these animals ranged from 1 day to 2 weeks. One source went so far as to say "several weeks". I would think a Group C Streptococcal infection in guinea pigs would have a similar incubation period.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:16 pm

I saw that too, "1 day to several weeks". What is that? That seems like a qualified guess at best. Sheesh.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:39 pm

Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL)

Treatment:

Sources recommend either culling or isolating infected animals before lymph node abscesses rupture to prevent spread of organism.

For infected animals that are isolated, the following treatment is recommended:
* Treat with surgical drainage of lymph nodes
* Lavage abscesses
* Antibiotic therapy for 7-14 days.

"Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs" recommends 14 days of daily administration of Cephaloridine at 25mg/kg body weight intramuscularly or Cephalexin at 50-100mg/kg intramuscularly.

"Merck Vet Manual" recommends Cephaloridine at 25 mg/kg body intracuscularly daily but it is not said for how long treatment is to continue. They have reported this to be effective in controlling and eliminating the disease.

Important note: I believe Cephaloridine and Cephalexin to be Cephalosporins. Cephalosporins are listed on the Guinea Lynx "Dangerous Medications" list.

Affected animals should stay isolated until abscesses have drained and healed.

I couldn't find anything specific to guinea pigs, but in horses with
Streptococcus equii, another Group C Streptococcus which causes "Strangles" (similiar to CL in guinea pigs), the total time for the disease to run its course was approximately 3 weeks.

In other animal species, Streptococcal spp. have been isolated from them for as long as 4 weeks after symptoms of disease have gone. Would that guinea pigs continue to shed Streptococcus zooepidemicus for this length of time after their abscesses have drained and healed, I do not know.

There has been some indication that there can be carrier animals.
Last edited by Paisley on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:40 pm

We are flushing them down the toilet now. Some of them are too big so Knoeddelmeister is bringing a plunger.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:45 pm

Best plan I've heard all day. I suppose these little white masks I've been furiously making to fit the pigs faces are now wasted......

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:56 pm

Just a few more points of interest on Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL):

* Limiting the amount of coarse feed may aid in decreasing incidence of CL.

* Chronic infections can be exacerbated by stress.

* One source (sorry, don't remember which one) said the Group C Streptococcus is relatively fragile in the environment. I take this to mean that it wouldn't live long outside a host.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:04 pm

Please forgive any typos in my previous posts. I see where I've missed a few and the "edit" time has elapsed. (I've had a lot of interruptions from 6 children this afternoon and it breaks my train of thought!)

As far as finding out who is a carrier, I couldn't find any specific method to determine this. All I found out was that there could be carrier animals.

I'm going to look into Baytril's efficacy against Streptococcus.

Paisley

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:29 pm

Taken from:

http://www.afip.org/vetpath/POLA/99/1999-POLA-Cavia.htm

DISEASES OF GUINEA  PIGS
POLA 1999
Marti Hanes, DVM
Department of Lab Animal Resources
University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas 78284

Under Cervical Lymphadenitis:
Systemic antibiotics such as enrofloxacin or chloramphenical are effective.
Enrofloxacin is Baytril. No dose recommendations or length of treatment recommendations given.

I'm going to have to get off the computer now. I think husband is getting annoyed that I've spent so much time on here today. I hope some of this has helped, though.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:10 pm

Well, Charandmin, Knoeddelmeister and I worked all day trying to sterilize this place. We bleached cages entirely, bleached the walls, and bleached ourselves. All the healthy pigs upstairs were weighed and given a dose of Baytril. After my helpers left, I went to finish up the room we were working on. I was standing up to give my knees a rest from using the shop vac and I threw my hip out. It was all I could do to crawl down the stairs. I can barely move. I still have another room to do upstairs and then the kitchen pigs. No one has had their regular meds or veggies.

Someone please come take all these pigs away. I don't want to do this anymore.

Seansfamily

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:32 pm

Awwwww, good grief. You've had too much to deal with and now your hip is out. I am so sorry. As someone who has painful mobility issues, I know how tough it is when you are hanging by a thread dealing with overwhelming odds and then your body gives out. You have my very sincere sympathy.

I wish I could be there to help. You are in my thoughts.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:42 pm

I wish I could help too. Why is it that those of us with so many physical issues push ourselsves past the breaking point!?

I have a torn lumbar disc in my back, and what do I do? Ship hay! All this past week I;'ve been standing and canning fruits and vegetables, and painting the back two bedrooms, along with moving all the furniture.

I'm living on Advil and Flexeril. Nuts I tell ya.

Chary, I really feel your pain, girl. Hang in there. Tomorrow will look brighter.

I take it you chose bleach over the toilet plunger? that was your first mistake...back to making piggie masks, I guess.