How my piggies helped me

jenhopediva

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:23 pm

My guinea pigs saved me from a depression episode, too. They moved down to DC with me and helped me while I was hiding indoors, afraid to go out on job interviews because of the Sniper Attacks. They'll come back to NJ when my husband and I move there next year. And we'll probably be near Newark Airport, too... we're actors so we have to be near NY, but um... we're actors so we can't afford to be IN NY. You know how it is. The pigs don't care, though, so it's all good!!!

GP Slave
The check's in the mail....

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:26 pm

My first pig Russell helped me mourn the loss of my parents.

He was there to listen to me, he would " talk " to me, he was warm and his soft fur was comforting.

He was also there when my husband's parents passed.

He was an incredible pig, and he helped me more then mere words can say.

InkysMom

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:37 pm

Hello,
I am new to GL and have only looked at the Emergency Forum until now... fortunately my dear one is A-okay now and I can investigate other areas of pig-dom! Such as, your post.

Guinea pigs ARE the most comforting animals. I had one that saw me through a terrible boyfriend episode. I will always remember the night I cried for hours, my heart breaking, and he just sat on my lap and literally let me hold his paw. They are always there with their sweet faces and happy sounds when you pet them, always grateful when you bring them treats, and always fun to just sit and watch (at least to me). I do a lot of good thinking hanging out with my little buddy. I love my dog, but I will be bonded to guinea pigs for life. They are truly special.

I'm so glad your Popi caught your eye that day and that he's helped you so much. Good luck with your move and the future!

poptot

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:44 pm

Hi Inkysmom,

Thanks.I used to think I'm a cat person but after Popi, I definitely know that I'm a piggie person.I can't resist their cute faces and lovable nature.:)

Babymeow,

Have you found that link yet? I found the page but was unable to open it for some reason, my Internet explorer would shut down everytime I try to open that page.I'll keep trying though.

Culas Cavies

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:06 am

Hi, I have found out over the years that many
people who have cavies have or do suffer from a type
of depression. Strange but True.

Tamicula

Leinani

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:12 am

poptot, your post was very touching. I'm glad that your pig was able to help you through a difficult time. Animals are the best, aren't they?

Cula's Cavies, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Do you mean that guinea pigs cause depression?

babymeow

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:11 am

poptot,

Sorry for the trouble. Yes, I found that website you referred to...."small pet rescue" right? I tried to send an email to them but it was bounced back. I guess they stopped using that email address somehow. Then I went to the local SPCA's website and contacted them. Waiting for their reply now. Thanks for looking around for my piggie. :)

Culas Cavies

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:38 pm

Oh no, I am not saying that at all. Just the oppisite.
SO many of the ones I know who have pigs had
a form of depression before and have found that
pigs are a wonderful help.

Tamicula

Leinani

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:10 pm

I see, I figured I had to be misinterpreting what you said!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:54 pm

Doom saved my life by cuddling up to my neck (he NEVER sits on my shoulder, but that night he did) and purring worriedly. And if he ever saw any of my ex-friends I know he'd growl at them and tell them what horrible people they are for making his mommy sad.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:57 pm

Pigs really are good stress relievers. I have two really good cuddle pigs that'd snuggle up up.

I think this is why cavy lovers get mad when people refuse to take their pigs to the vet because they don't want to spend money on a $25 pet.. we know they are so much more than just $25.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:19 pm

I actually have two bipolar friends that I got hooked on piggies (tm)...I just wish the one of them would break up with her boyfriend who said he "wouldn't care if they just died".

I'm working on another friend, who has anxiety problems and probably ADHD, but she and her daughter are just in love with every one of my pigs, and if she gets the settlement from her lawsuit (LONG story) she's going to adopt Jackie from me. If I can ever bear to give him up.

(I have $20 in my bank account and $10 in my pocket...I just spent $9 on hay for the grownups, alfalfa for the babies, and peaches for Einstein...Doom's surgery really cleaned me out and my flaky boss from my summer job didn't turn in my last timecard on time even though I turned it in two days early...)