Cost difference between having multiple pigs?

lisam

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 am

I have my hay delivered from the feed store. Depending on your location and the type of hay, bales can be anywhere from 75 to 130 pounds. My feed store has lately been carrying "mini" bales, which are compressed and expand quite a bit.

Sometimes I get my pellets from KM, but usually from the feed store. Luckily they carry Oxbow.

theamazingbox

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 am

I asked the produce guy once about taking corn husks. Their corn fest is right outside, so I just get weird looks from every single shopper in the north jersey area, but the produce guy just looked at me like I had six heads and said whatever.

Piggies <3 corn husks. And piggy spaghetti(silks)

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 am

My favorite feed store has bales that are around 100 lbs I think. Usually CavyCastle and I split one so they get used up fairly quickly. They also carry Oxbow and will order the 50 lb bags for us, no shipping. Their distributor carries them so they get them in just a day or two after we order.

If you ask at the stores for scraps or husks they will say no. Too many people have sued stores so they can't officially allow scraps to go for consumption. At least that is what a number of them have told me. If the barrel is sitting there, I load up a bag and at the check out just say they are the husks and they don't charge. If they ask what they are for, I say "crafts". Like corn husk dolls and such if they want specifics. OR they just think I make tamales. ;-)

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 am

Echoing everyone else in that it's the vet costs that get you more than the supplies.

As for supplies:

>I get a bale of dust-free, kiln-dried pine shavings from my local grain elevator for $5/month($20+ at the pet stores for the same bale)

>I buy 10lb bags of Oxbow pellets from the pet supplies store for $15 and that lasts 2 months

>Hay is from KM's Hayloft and I get a 25lb box every 4-6 months ($35/box from KM = $90 buying in bags at the stores for the same amt)

>Veggies vary, but the husks I talked to my local grocery store (before I started working there) and they looked at me like I was nuts then after finding it was for my animals said "go right ahead". Now that I work for them, I get my husks from the corn we buy and bring home.

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am

I get the small bales which are about 35-50 lbs. But, they stack in my hosue easier ;)

The farm supply, if they carry Oxbow, might be able to special order you the larger bags, but keep in mind, only keep on hand what you can use in 6 months - or a year if you freeze - to prevent degredation of nutrients (I think those are the times... correct me if I am off!)

Feylin

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 am

There is a website that is just for finding hay.

www.hayexchange.com

I found my local farmers on there and buy my hay for $2-$5 a bale from them.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:47 am

Strangely, I've been lucky at the Price Rite for getting corn husks. They have a big barrel by the corn where people shuck their corn.

I put the corn husks (Note: easier to get rid of the silk at the store than at home) in a plastic bag. I always declare the corn husks to the cashiers at the front.

I pretty much get strange looks/comments from the cashiers as to why I would be concerned about 'stealing' corn husks. I told them you wouldn't believe how some stores act about taking them - you get refused, etc. I've had carrot tops confiscated. I think what helps is the cashiers tend to be younger and have the "don't care" attitude.

Some do ask why I want them. mmercedesmom, I think I'll use your response. I sometimes get a weird look when I say guinea pigs and have to explain that guinea pigs can only eat the husks. The corn part is too high in starch for them. Yes, crafts would work.

Suisan

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:18 am

"Note: easier to get rid of the silk at the store than at home"

Don't leave the silk at the store -- my pigs love it even more than the husks.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 am

Mine love the silks too, fight over them in fact.

I do think the cashiers don't care what goes out the door, it's the produce guys or managers who get the legal stuff drilled into them.

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Well then I guess next time I head over to the grocery I'll have to see if they have the bins set up to discard the husks and silk. I think last time I was there they did... But it *is* a Wal-Mart so who knows how stupid they'll be...

tara8301
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm

So I went over to the store where I leave a little piece of my soul each time I enter.... that would be Wal-Mart... to get some piggie things and found out they don't sell fabric anymore. Apparently I've been way out of it 'cause the cashier said they haven't sold fabric in over a year. :( Now I have to find a fabric place in town to get new fleeces. That will be my adventure for tomorrow!

I also was gonna check out the corn husk thing, but the trash bin they had next to the corn was the kind with a big lid and the door swings in. They used to just have big open trash cans. I thought it would be a little weird to take off the lid and go rifling through the stuff 'cause with that kind of trash can who knows what could have been thrown in there. *sigh* more :( But my fiancee's fam planted lettuce and corn (I specifically requested the lettuce for the pigs) so I'll be able to get some from them when it's ready.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:29 pm

tara: We're jealous of the homegrown lettuce and corn over here.