barbells

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:46 pm

Oh geez. Maybe my bday present is even more useful now?

I'm going to see about making a trip down there tomorrow. I got dragged into work though.. I'll let you know.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:06 pm

Flexeril is some good stuff.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:50 pm

Streptococcus zooepidemicus, may cause disease in humans -- some of the diseases Harkness and Wagner mention as being zoonotic are only a danger to elderly people or people with weak immune systems.

It would seem most of the information you've found agrees with each other. I'd go with VC Richardson's suggestion of baytril before I'd use the other drugs though.

Pigglies

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:35 am

Oh wow... so sorry to hear about your hip too.

Hope the piggies will be okay. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go over and help or not, I thought we were doing something tomorrow but if I can get out of it I'd definitely go help.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:38 am

Peter and I are going to head down there. I almost couldnt go. My dad was whining something about Labor Day and people driving drunk on the freeway..

Thank goodness Peter will drive.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:09 am

Oh Chary, not your hip on top of all of this. When it rains it pours! I can only offer my sincere thoughts and prayers on this one. I wish I were closer too.

Yes, tomorrow is another day and hopefully a lot brighter and happier for you. Take it easy and remember every one of those piggies love you.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:59 am

Dammit, girl, you really need a break. Also a stiff drink, good drugs, sleep and fewer pigs. You're in over your head, Chary. I hope things work out and go back to normal.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:08 pm

Oh you poor thing. I'm nursing two after surgery and I feel overwhelmed. I cannot imagine what it must be like for you. Take care of yourself first otherwise you'll be no good for anything else.

I hope you are able to get something for the pain so you can at least function and get some help.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:29 am

Hello all. I am dragging myself around a wee bit better today. Kim came over this a.m. with veggies for the pigs. Amy and Peter cleaned my living room behind my back and then took on the awesome task of medicating 30 pigs. Amy learned how to do SQ and Peter gave an injection. Then we trussed up Itchy and Scratchy. Thank God for volunteers.

And now the update:

Phyllis' lumps are getting worse. One is big marble size now and its neighbor is little marble size. She is still eating, though. Fenella has offered 50% of her surgical costs (she was Fenella's pig recently transferred up here) so we will probably go ahead with having her cysts removed entirely and then moving her into my downstairs bathroom IF the vet doesn't think that she will be a danger to the other pigs.

Rowan, the not lilac himi of the dumpster pigs, is not going to fare as well, I'm afraid. His lump is getting bigger by the hour. I think it's in danger of bursting and we can't let that happen for sure. The other pig's lump seems about the same.

7 dumpster pigs with CL=7 possible surgeries=2100$ and 7x more risk of contagion. And we still don't know what to do with Sebastian downstairs.

I'll be consulting with different vets in the a.m. Given the rate and type of transmission, we are so afraid of infecting the other 30 pigs in the household. I'll have to get the vet's input on whether or not we can determine carrier status. But it doesn't look good for any of them.

Frightening thought number 1: It was my vet who instructed me to aspirate Sebastian's lumps at home. Why didn't he know that it could be airborne?

Frightening thought number 2: Somewhere out there is someone selling himis and satins with cervical lymphadenitis.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:34 am

Oh my gosh, this is getting sadder and sadder. I am so sorry Chary. Please keep yourself healthy. It sounds like you have a lot of good friends willing to help when needed.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:39 am

*sigh*

Up to SEVEN now? That's really scary. I took a shower right when I got home, but I did pass by the pig cages. I think I'll wipe myself with alcohol before touching anyone.

What exactly is the fatality rate for CL? If my pigs catch it, as long as they survive, it wont be so bad. I don't plan on getting more pigs anyways. 4-5 is enough.

Well, let me know if I can help in some way. I think Dr R effed up again. :( Take his plaque back.

And go back to bed, sitting down is not good for you. Did you like the food ok? Get some rest and take care of yourself please.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:21 am

Not sitting down. Lying on the floor. The noodles were great! Thank your mom for me.

Only 3 dumpster pigs with obvious symptoms. 7 dumpster pigs total. Maybe no one else will develop lumps, but they all live together.

I am going back to bed soon. Had to get up to talk to the board. Everyone's scared and worried.

From what I can find, incubation is 3 to 14 days. Mortality is 10%. I'm reading a French report mais je ne suis pas courrant.

Maybe E can translate this one phrase I can't get:

Les animaux guéris peuvent rester porteurs du germe, notamment au niveau des poches gutturales et la durée du portage peut excéder 8 mois.