barbells

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:30 am

Let me know which vet you get in the morning. I hope it's all just a big scare.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:57 am

I hope your hip starts feeling better soon, Charybdis.

Thanks for the update.

I had that same frightening thought, too, re: someone out there may be selling himis and satins with Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL).

Another thought had also occurred to me - perhaps CL is the reason why those pigs were dumped in the first place. The person may have known that they were exposed to CL and didn't want to be bothered treating them, etc.

If I come across any more information that I feel may help, I'll post it, okay?

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:22 am

Chary, sending positive thoughts your way. I am totally unfamiliar with this disease you're dealing with but it sounds really scary. I just wanted you to know that I GREATLY admire what you're doing and you're an amazingly dedicated friend of guinea pigs... I hope that your volunteer support network hangs in there, too - you surely need them! Try to take care of yourself as you won't be able to help the piggies if you're out of commission.

On behalf of pigs everywhere, thank you.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:04 am

Chary, the best I can do with that french translation is that the cured animals can be carriers of the germ, in particular around the "poches gutturales" (???), and can exceed 8 months. I'm sure E can do better than that. Jeez, what a sucky situation.

pigluvver

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:33 am

I've only just managed to get round to reading this thread - what a nightmare. I wish I lived closer than the other side of the world and could help, I'm no vet but I am pretty much expert at shovelling pig sh*t.

My translation is much the same as yours Para, - "The cured animals can remain carrying the germ, in particular on the level of the pockets gutturales and the duration of the bearing can exceed 8 months"

Guttural pockets, I would assume to be a cavity in the voicebox and/or throat area since guttural usually refers to a throaty noise?

I hope things improve.

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:34 am

Chary, re: your French information, to add on to what Paravati said:

HORSES have guttural pouches. They are large "blind pockets" in their heads. I have NO IDEA if guineas also have them - hopefully someone else does. Was your article about the disease as it occurs in horses?

In horses, I know guttural pouches are immediately suspect in any kind of draining infection w/ pus that shows up in the nasal area. Whatever infection there is must be agressively treated with antibiotics, as like the inner ear, they are lovely breeding grounds for bugs.

I will not venture to say anything else as I have no exact medical reference to point to, I'm just going by what I remember reading in the past. But first we ought to determine if guineas even have guttural pouches! Anyone with an anatomy text?

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:41 am

Pigluvver, you posted while I was typing. Horses' guttural pockets are definitely in their skull, so I would presume if pigs have them, they're in that area as well.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:09 pm

I found some information on guttural pouches at:
http://barrelhorses.horsecity.com/stori ... l_WH.shtml

The article was written by Dr. Dwight G. Bennett.
Guttural pouches are outpouchings of the eustachian tubes. Only equines have guttural pouches, but all mammals have eustachian tubes. Eustachian tubes extend from the inner surface of each eardrum to the pharynx (the place where the nasal passages and mouth join). These tubes serve the vital function of regulating the pressure on the eardrums.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:14 pm

From the same link I listed above:
Every time an animal swallows, the eustachian tube opens, allowing any bacteria in the nose or mouth a free passage to the middle ear.
Last edited by Paisley on Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:15 pm

Paisley, I was hoping you'd show up because I knew you could find out. So now we know pigs don't have them... just regular eustachian tubes. Hopefully this is good news for Chary's pigs.

P.S. My family, esp. my son who has gone thru two sets of implanted "ear tubes," could certainly use larger eustachian tubes. Ours are a poor design!

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:18 pm

I have to make lunch now for the children but I'll see if I can find out more later.

InkysMom,
My husband had to have tubes placed in his ears, too, when he was younger as his ears didn't drain properly.

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:23 pm

In your house that's a 2-hour project, eh? PB and J for all!!!

Just had an interesting thought, since I was thinking about horses: This CL disease sounds an awful lot like strangles. I wonder if it's same thing, and Cervical Lymphadenitis is the scientific name for it? I'm going to check.