barbells

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:27 pm

Yes I had them too. Twice. That plus a lifetime of ear infections makes my ears full of scar tissue. I believe right after I had my ears done they started doing them with laser, a much more effective technique.

Yes, that was an equine report. I couldn't find anything under guinea pigs + CL + carriers, except that they "may become" carriers. So I was looking to see if other animals affected by S. zoo became carriers.

I think I will have to take a trip to the library and pore through some veterinary journals.

Inky, I think "cervical lymphadenitis" just means "swellings of the lymph nodes in the neck area." The actual disease we're looking at is Streptococcus Zooepidemicus, or else Pasteurella.

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:54 pm

Chary, after reading up on strangles, obviously you're right. Strangles does cause cervical lymphadenitis but is not called that, and the bug in question is Strep. Equi, an equine-specific organism (should have checked back in your thread for name of S. Zoo).

For what it's worth, here's the article I read about strangles, since the diseases do seem to have a very similar progression:

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/liv ... angles.htm

I know you already know the goop from burst/lanced abcesses is the worst carrier. I especially thought it was interesting that it says nothing about S. Equi being airborne-transmittable... Also, it seems like a good thing in the sick horses if the abcesses burst or are lanced.

Like I said, I understand that it's a totally different bug that's making your poor little ones sick but thought maybe the info. could be useful.

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:49 pm

So are they only a carrier for a certain time period, instead of their lifetime?

If they'd be a carrier forever, depending on how they could transmit it... that could be a very bad thing and not worth surgery for any of them if they'd still be a carrier after surgery.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:30 pm

In your house that's a 2-hour project, eh?
Tell me about it, InkysMom! LOL! I got done with lunch, cleaned the pigs' cage, checked the mail and I'm now checking back on GL for a few moments to see if there were any new developments. In about 15 minutes, I'll have to start supper!

By the way, you wouldn't want to see my house near a meal time. It becomes a true zoo! I've never seen children who act like they've never, ever seen food before. Sheesh! I should have kept the magnet my parents gave me while at CU. It said "Welcome to the zoo!" That fits this household in more ways than one, that is for sure! LOL!
Last edited by Paisley on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:31 pm

Paisley, how many kids do you have?

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:34 pm

Six - 5 girls, one boy.

Girl - 13
Boy - 10
Girl - 8 1/2
Girl - 7
Girl - almost 3
Girl - 10 months

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:36 pm

My goodness. And I thought dealing with three was a bit overwhelming. Hehe. I'm 27, and Alex is 30, and we have three kids, 2 dogs, and 16 guinea pigs. Sometimes it seems a bit much, but I always wanted 5 kids someday. He was a steal because he already comes with 3. ;)

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:40 pm

It's nice to have a large family, that is for sure. But, as with anything, there are "those days"!

I'm 39; husband will be 44.

2 piggies and 1 rabbit round out our household.

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:11 pm

Paisley, now we ALL know why you are the "Practical Organizer"... I feel like that's all I do and I only have 2 (human) kids! Also one 6 mo. old Eng. Springer Spaniel puppy-girl, and dear Inky, he of the recently broken-off tooth.

Para, I figured you kept busy enough with your rescue and didn't think you had any human kids. I'm impressed.

Wonder how Chary's doing today with those poor abcessed pigs?

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:22 pm

Relevant research information:

Healthy guinea-pigs housed with spontaneously infected ones in the same cage suffered from the infection, showing manifestation and pathologic changes similar to the spontaneous cases. Some of them, however, remained apparently healthy for about 2 months harboring the organisms in the conjunctiva or nasal cavity

Other than that, I'm running up against a brick wall. Found one article on MedLine that Pigglies is going to pick up at her library. The UC Davis medical librarian couldn't help me and I'm waiting for a call from UCD's small animal clinic.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:03 pm

Oh dear! That doesn't sound very good at all.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:49 pm

University of Missouri:

Airborne: No.

Carriers: Yes.