Are these safe?

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am

I have a garden this year and have some radishes and green beans growing. Is it safe for my pigs to eat the leaves from these plants?

Carrie86

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 am

Um ... wait for an answer from a more experienced member. I thought there was a problem with feeding them radishes (not sure about the leaves). Pretty cool that the pigs have a garden!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:49 am

My pigs love to eat radish leaves and will eat a little of the radish itself.

Suisan

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:52 am

my guys love radishes and radish leaves. They like radish more than carrots. As long as they are string beans and not "bush beans" (kidney beans, pinto beans, etc.) the leaves of the bean plant should be fine. We eat pea sprouts all the time.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:04 pm

I am very excited that we started a garden this year! It has fed the pigs for a while now, and has saved me tons of money. I have mixed lettuces, cilantro, parsley, tomato, radishes, string beans, and a few other things. They LOVE it! I would like to expand it next year. We have 2 raised beds, and I would like to add a 3rd.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Lois says send those radish leaves right on over, if your guys reject them. ;)

I have a container garden on my deck and it really does save money! My dill and parsley went to flower though, and now the pigs won't eat the leaves. They must taste different.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Careful how many radish leaves you feed. They are high in calcium and, I believe, oxalic acid. The Bug will pee white when she gets them.