Corn Husks

hazelblondie

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:54 pm

I got some free corn husks today and I was wondering how you guys dry them in the oven? What temp and for how long? Can I even feed them to then with out drying them in the oven.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Mine love fresh corn husks! It's a favorite.

TheVic
I gave in memory of Trotsky

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:18 pm

I didn't even know anyone dried them - my family and I always give it to our pigs fresh.

hazelblondie

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:06 pm

I read a post a few months back of someone getting a huge amount of husks and oven dried them to save them. I don't have a huge amount so i may not even need to dry the to save. I just wanted to know for future ref.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Mine love fresh ones. I believe you can dry them in the sun and store them in a paper sack. They may not want them dry. I wash all of mine and freeze them, silks and all. My boys love frozen ones but most of the time I let them thaw in the fridge.

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:43 pm

I just empty out the box of husks and a few ears into the cage!

Ivy was getting ticked today, little bit managed to haul a whole ear into the corner for her pickings. Ate the kernels from left to right in a row, and got mad at the husk dangling from the end that kept getting in her way. The husk however, was no intimidated by her chattering!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 am

You don't need to oven dry them, just lay them out for a day or so and store in paper bags.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:17 am

Kermie how often do you give corn?

I have given mine a couple of pieces.

Kermie831

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:45 am

Whenever we clean the cage - it;s a 'neat' food to feed the pigs when their cage is clean! Rather than tomatos that squish, or lettuce that gets stepped on!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:58 am

Out of all my boys I have only one pig who appreciates a fresh ear of corn. He eats it like a pro. The others will only eat the husk and silk.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:42 am

I need to see pictures of Ivy dragging around a whole ear of corn...and then bossing it!

CavyConfusion
Cavy Slave since '05

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am

I dry mine in the oven. However, I do not turn the heat on. The husks are placed (in the cold oven) on the oven racks, and the oven door is left open. Usually if the husks are placed in the oven oven overnight, they're dry in the morning. I don't have much counter space in the kitchen, but if I did I think the counter would do just as nicely.

I haven't fed a whole ear of corn to my guinea pigs. It would be cute to see Ivy devouring the corn kernels.