Corn Husks

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:55 pm

I dry them one of two ways.

1. I lay them out on a cookie sheet and let them air dry. It takes several days.

2. I lay them out on cookie sheets and put them in the oven on 150 to 200 degrees. I check them at 1 hour and then in 30 minute increments. It usually takes about 2 hours. I do this when I have alot of corn husks. Enough for 2-4 cookie sheet. I don't have enough room in the kitchen to air dry that many corn husks.

I bag them up in ziplock bags. My girls love it fresh and dried. During the summer, they get it fresh and I dry some so that in the winter, I have treats for them.

I've started earlier this year with drying the corn husks.

hazelblondie

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I gave them some husks last night and the boys were in piggy heaven. So glad I went to the publix when I did and was able to get some.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

I was so surprised to see the discount grocery store (Rite Aid) sold dried corn husks. They were going for something like $10/lb. I wonder what the cost would be in the regular stores?

This store has been great in always letting me take a bag of the discarded fresh husks.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm bummed now. Since I started working for the local grocery store, I'm not allowed to take free husks from the bins. =( So my guys only get them when we have corn here.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Why GP? That is crazy.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 pm

I talked to my manager (mostly because I didn't want to get fired over corn husks) and he said that it would be like stealing from the company. He realizes they just get thrown out, but rules is rules. I even offered to pay for them, but no go.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:55 pm

That is crazy, I could understand fruit that will even be thrown out, but something that he knows you will not eat? What about the people who take them out of the bins at the stores? The employees who I ask don't care. That isn't stealing. Now, when I lifted someone's grass....that was stealing! HAHAHA

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:58 pm

I buy at least 12 ears of corn per week, peel the husks and silks off and throw the corn away. I saved it for a while to use at the soup kitchen that I cook for quarterly, but then the big freezer at church died and I don't have anywhere to store it. Luckily, my local vegetable store gets corn all year round-the price goes up to 50-75 cents per ear but they get it-and I buy it. I wonder if this should go in the 'what would you do for your pigs' thread?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:27 pm

GuineaPiggin, that is crazy!

Look for a grocery store that has a bin by their corn and take some of that. I used to do so and nobody ever cared (they might have checked to make sure there is nothing but husks and silks there but that was perfectly fine with me).

rpaws

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 am

I second Lynx, GuineaPiggin, your manager has some crazy thinking.

Once something is thrown in the trash, it is considered unwanted/discarded and is actually 'fair game' for anyone. That's why once you put something on your curb for trash pickup like a lamp, or table, if someone comes along and takes it, it's okay. You have discarded it. It's also why the police can take a person's trash and go through it without getting a search warrant.

Last night, went to the discount grocery store and got another bag of discarded husks. I guess I'm lucky I get the young clerks that don't care; the produce guy sees me taking them all the time and doesn't say anything. I went and checked the dried husks bag and it cost $10.43/lb for them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am

I went and checked the dried husks bag and it cost $10.43/lb for them.

What do you mean by this? (confused!)

Suisan

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:52 am

Our store sells small packages of dried corn husks for tamale making. I think must be what she's referring to.

My guys won't eat the husks dried,so corm husks are definitely a seasonal thing here. And the markets no longer let you husk the ears in the store, so there aren't ready supplies of the husks and silks. I've bought the corn before just for the husks if they are on deep discount. The fresh kernels I feed to the chickens as a treat.