barbells

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:52 am

If not, I have a friend that goes to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Also a very zoology-ish school.

Salana seems to be willing to look for it too if her school has it.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:03 am

Cornell claims it has it. I have a job interview tomorrow but hopefully after that I'll be able to get out to the vet school and make some photocopies. Then I can scan them in for you or try to type them up tomorrow after my last class.

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:08 am

Cool, if they don't have it though, let me know and I will go to Cal Poly Pomona.

I sure hope they have it there though!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:09 am

Cool thanks! You saved Valerie a long trip. :)

Yea, Cornell has an actual vet school. Cal POly just have prevet programs. I'd die to be able to get into a vet school. Stupid grades.. stupid chemistry..

Paisley

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:43 am

Charybdis,

I do agree with the vet in the fact that we are not yet sure what the disease causing organism is.

However, I am made curious by her statement:
the reports we're reading on the internet are not too authoritative
Please ask her why she feels that the following sources would not be authoritative as these are most of the ones I found info at:

* Merck Vet Manual Online (same as the book she more than likely uses)

* Comparative Medicine Program 2002
MU College of Veterinary Medicine
(Missouri University?)

* Department of Veterinary Pathobiology
   College of Veterinary Medicine
   Texas A&M University

* Marti Hanes, DVM
Department of Lab Animal Resources
University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio
Last edited by Paisley on Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paisley

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:50 am

Cervical lymphadenitis in the guinea pig.
Author: Henderson JD Jr Source: Vet Med Small Anim Clin (Veterinary medicine, small animal clinician : VM, SAC.) 1976 Apr; 71(4): 462-3
I think it is good to read this article, too.

However, keep in mind that it was published in 1976 (27 years ago)! Some of the information, procedures and/or treatment methods may have changed since then.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:57 pm

Perhaps "authoritative" isn't the right word.

She saw that I was mainly researching lab reports and articles on the diseases of laboratory animals. She said that those reports recommend culling because they need the animals to be healthy so that they can perform more experiments on them.

Your veterinary manuals aside, Paisley, everything I've read has been reports off the internet. And there is a lot of conflicting information.

I'm going to USC today for my internship. I have a feeling I may have it out with the RA and quit (if she insults me one more time) and then I'll have all day to mess around in the library.

zmom24piggies

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Les animaux guéris peuvent rester porteurs du germe, notamment au niveau des poches gutturales et la durée du portage peut excéder 8 mois.

This is french it means this
The cured animals can remain carrying the germ, in particular on the level of the pockets gutturales and the duration of the bearing can exceed 8 months.

the pockets gutturales which guttarales is the (of or relating to the throat.)
while the pockets are referring to the abscess on the throat.

Hope that helps!

InkysMom

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:46 pm

QUOTE: "Yea, Cornell has an actual vet school. Cal POly just have prevet programs. I'd die to be able to get into a vet school. Stupid grades.. stupid chemistry.."

(Sorry, don't know how to put that in the fancy box)

CP, join the club! Paisley and I also had *plans* for vet school at Cornell but Chemistry proved to be our downfall (other things, too in my case, but that was certainly part of it). I handled Organic okay as I'm good at memorization but regular, unh-uh, way, - esp. lab work.

Oh, well, we'll do our best taking care of our own animals and vicariously existing on the fringes of veterinariandom by hanging out on GL! Why do I have a feeling that next time I'm in with my pig (which I surely hope isn't for a loooong time) the vet will be less than thrilled with all my new knowledge, though...

"I want Meloxicam and I want it NOW!"

GP Slave
The check's in the mail....

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:02 pm

Inkysmom,

How's Inky??

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:14 pm

Some articles about lab animals even use culling as their solution to mites, as it's "too expensive" to treat.

I don't know if I'd trust studies on lab animals either because they don't treat the animals as nicely as we do, they live in tiny cages, it's just not similar to a pet guinea pig environment at all. With all those cages just stacked in rows, maybe they just think it's airborne when all of them become infected, but they are just so close together it's hard to tell. So I can see Dr.Kanfer's point.

Paisley

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:17 pm

InkysMom has that right! I hated Chemistry. To me, it was useless to memorize Benzene rings! If I really needed to know, I felt that I could look them up.

Basically, Chemistry was my downfall in not pursuing my veterinary career. (Although it probably was never meant to be in the first place because if I had gone on to Vet School at CU, I would never have met my husband.) I guess things always happen for a reason.