Pigjes Pigs Piggadise

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 am

40 years ago, my daddy brought home some piggies. He and I were very taken by these adorable little fuzzy creatures. We always had new additions, he got them from the school he worked in, when people had rescues which needed a home. My dad became more ill, died unfortunately and no new piggies arrived, as mom wasn't a pet person at all. She never even knew we had piggies!!!

So, as soon as I lived on an apartment, I got a piggie. Piggie books those days were absolute horror and informed me how bad I was for wanting more then one, lol. Luckily, Wheeter didn't live alone, the cats, who were allowed contact after long and careful observation, loved him. He was a free ranger, as then the house could be made safe to explore more easily than nowadays.

Wheeter was the first pig I ever had indoors. I fell in love even more with the strangely fascinating character piggies had. He was very tiny and he adored to swim, he never wanted to come out of the water when he got bathed!

Unfortunately, my ex hated piggies. It says more about him then words can describe. Wheeter was killed at old age, due to the petsitter, because she let a dog play with him, who killed him on the spot. My ex refused me another piggie, because I cried over Wheeter, can you believe it. That was close before I left him.

I had a best friend for years and lightning struck, we fell in love, rather unexpected and married soon after. I wanted piggies again, this time I knew "more equals better", due to the internet being available for piggie owners. I was reluctant, because hub was brought up by parents who consider pets as disposable. Yet, hub insisted.

We got Floopy and Kooky. Kooky was fierce, but Floopy and hub developed a deep and caring love between each other. Never before I saw such love between a man and a fuzzy member of the family. I was glad to see that the lack of pet education had had the opposite effect on hub, he takes care of the pigs as real family members.

We got Bibi, as 3 is better than 2, so if one dies, they are not completely left alone and have each other to share the suffering of the loss.

When Floopy died, it left hub heartbroken. I was too, but I lost too many people over time, I can cope better with loss.

We got Druppy rather soon after Floopy died, because Bibi was grieving very hard.

We had all sizes and types of cages. This is the current one. It compares to a 2.3 x 11.2 C&C cage. It's huge and it offers the pigs lots of exercise.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff16 ... adise1.jpg

I used playpen grids to connect and zip tie them to eye-screws in a kitchen work top. We have no C&C here. I had some shipped over, but they rusted fast, so i had to find other material to use.

Every week, at cage cleaning day, they get another setting to play in. We are not wealthy at all, the pigs own more then we do, lol. When hub goes out to shop with me, his eyes are focused on "Pappi needs to buy them a new toy" lol!!

Here they are!!

Kooky, on the left, a US Teddy, 5.5 years old, fiesty, adorable, she loves to draw your attention waving her front paw like a doggie at us!

Druppy in the middle, 1.5 years old, a Rex. A real prankster, always up for having fun. She's incredibly smart and is the only pig ever to make a very special "BWOK" sound when she's upset. never heard any pig do that before!!

Bibi on the right, 4 years old almost, a Rex. A very gentle soul. They say Rex are gentle giants and I can agree. Bibi is all love, like a 60ties hippie.

In case you would like to see the pigs in action, I have several vids up, of their cage themes, etc. Soem even dubbed with silly piggie voices, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/results?feature= ... type=&aq=f

I also draw a weekly comic about piggies since several years, which end up here, amongst a few other places:
http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/comics/comicsbycoolcavy
The piggies are quiet an inspiration to make comics.

I hope you enjoyed my story. I will keep updates on the pigs here.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 am

What beautiful piggys you have. Yes, please keep us updated!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 pm

You piggies are adorable! :)
I remember reading your comics a while ago, you are really a talented artist.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

I love your comics and varying cage themes. :)

And your piggies are quite cute :)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Omg, they are all gorgeous :) I just love their cage!

zazzified

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:41 pm

They're very cute. It looks like Bibi is in need of a good nail clipping though!

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Yes, they are cute!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 am

I've had the remark about the nails more then once.

Weird thing is that Rex nails seem to have a tendency to curl instantly when they come out of the toe (like their hair and whiskers) and the quick runs very long, much longer then any type of pig I had before.

Ever since I had Rex, I tried varied ways to try and do something about it, yet it seems impossible, it keeps bleeding each time I clip them anyway, as the quick is not only long, but narrow and hard to spot where it ends, even using a flashlight underneath to inspect them.

So I have bricks around the bowl to keep the nails shorter, which get disinfected and cleaned weekly and I try and clip the nails as careful as possible without bleeding, or the rex won't let me anymore, not even wrapped as a burrito. Kooky's nails, who is a Teddy, are no problem at all to clip to a shorter length.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 am

I have an old boar that has nails pretty similar to Bibi's, not quite that long, but close. As the years passed by, his nails got much thicker and started curling :( It is a pain to trim them but with lots of treats and patience you can file them to a better length. They'll always look weird and ugly but they'll be more comfortable for Bibi :)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:14 am

If you look at that pic, the nails are about 1mm longer then the quick. I usually clip the nails when they are about 1 mm past the quick.

Filing the nails: tried that too, but it also opens the quick if it's breached.

Druppy is now grown up, she was younger in that pic, as a Rex, she now has the typical rex nails too. I've spoken with many Rex owners here, as the Dutch are on a cavy forum too, they all have the same problem with Rex nails, yet the Rex don't seemed to be bothered by it at all.

There are many Rex here, not yet anywhere else, if I'm informed correctly.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 pm

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:14 pm

They are so cute :)