Tired of hay everywhere?

FraggleThePig

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Great idea! I actually use an old couch cushion cover to store my KM hay. I washed and dried it, and it's cotton with a zipper so it breathes and I can unzip it to get to the hay. It still makes a mess though! I wish I had room in my house for your setup!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Pretty cool, WEAVER! Would you like me to add your pics and ideas to the hay page? I bet it would help give people some good ideas.

Finaldecember

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Weaver, where did you get the roll-y bin? I've been wanting to organize my pigs' hay a little more and something like that would be great.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Lynx, that would be great!

Finaldecember, I got both of the bins from Walmart, but I know that Target carries simuliar items, as does Bed Bath and Beyond.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Great! I'll see if I can update something tonight or tomorrow.

marbles
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Amazing! Not only do your pigs never seem to poop, but are you super organized, too?! Great ideas, thanks for sharing.

Is that a kitty litter box under the hayrack in the first picture? Do you mind if I ask what size it is or the dimensions? I'd like to try something like that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Hey, I got something up! It may end up being changed a bit but here it is (with a link back to this thread):

www.guinealynx.info/_storage.html

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 am

I have my hay in a large drawer, so it stays dry and out of sunlight and air can still get too it. I bought a large plastic tray, something you'd use to shove as storage under a bed. I cut out an entrance and this keeps the hay fairly decent in the cage instead of making the house look like a barn.

I absolutely love your humongous landry bin. What a fantastic idea!!!

jedifreac

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 am

Great! I have one of those things and it was awful for clothes, too. I think hay is lighter so it may work just fine for hay.

At Target, mine was like $25-$30. Kind of a rip off, so maybe you guys should try Craig's list. I also noticed that Ross has wicker hampers pretty regularly.

somechick

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 am

zazzified, I'm not sure the size of the box, but I'll measure when I get home.

HazelNut

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:27 am

Have I tooooold...

You lately...

That I love you?

EXCELLENT idea Weaver!! Much better than depending on the highly hay allergic cat to alert me to where hay has managed to meander. I don't have him with me anymore anyway, which is better for his health and ability to keep his fur.

jedifreac

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Weaver, are you able to estimate how many "flakes" of hay the hamper might hold?