Children - Appropriate age for a Guinea Pig?

theresa

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am

I was just wondering what your opinions are on what age a child a guinea pig can be most appropriate for? Perhaps not under 10 at all? I am wanting to discuss this because I am starting school soon and if I meet a classmate who has a child that wants a guinea pig I want to be able to give some advice for the good of that family AS WELL as the good of the Guinea Pig that may go there. Thanks!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 am

My daughter is 5 and I know a lot of people buy guinea pigs for their children that age or a little older. The only thing my daughter does to help out with their care is helping to hand out veggies and hands me towels to line their cage with.

But, I got my boys with the intention of me fully caring for them. I'm thinking 10 and older is a more appropriate age to care for a pet like guinea pigs who need so much special care and attention.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:16 am

I think it depends more on the child themself, than the age of a child. Definitely not under 3. I know a few kids who I could trust to help me with pig care at 3+, then there are kids who I wouldn't even trust to feed the pig at age 16+.

That said, I agree with FourBoys that it's a good idea to have a young child help with a pet, as long as they know mom and/or dad are in charge.

Carrie86

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 am

I think the more important thing is that the parent realize they will be the primary care-giver. At the very least, they will be the care provider from a financial standpoint, which can be very expensive over the life of a guinea pig. Also, perhaps mention that guinea pigs do not particularily good pets for children, as they are very delicate.
The parent can then decide if they think their family is ready.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 am

11 to 12? But then the guinea pig(s) may still be with them throughout high school and when they go off to college.

Any younger and even at that age, the parent or adult needs to be the primary caretaker or at least willing to take over when needed.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 am

I would stress what Carrie86 said, parents being the primary care giver, stressing more the financial aspects they would be taking on.
I think if the vet care and overall financial was stressed more, it would become a bigger debate for the parent to think on and seeing this is not really the 'easy child pet' they have been made out to be. As well as cage size needed, both has been the two biggest turn offs to people I've spoke with considering cavies.

I also agree with GuineaPiggin about the age, some children are better mindset to (help) care for animals while others, even adults, can not or not willing to do.

If opportunity arises when a child or parents asks that is seriously considering getting a cavy, tell them about seeking out a rescue to foster for. That way they get a better idea, yet not having to commit 100% just yet, and you get the benefit of knowing the rescue okay's them as a good home!

theamazingbox

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 am

I think there really isn't an age. That pet is the parents responsibility(even legally) in most places until the child is 18. People that talk about wanting one are usually invited over. They usually nearly crap themselves when they see my 2 by 11(4 boars seperated). And veggie time. . I also mention that one of my pigs was intended as a friend for the first, but would rather rip his face off(not usually in those words). I also usually direct them to this website. As long as they understand they are the primary caregiver, and whatheir child's role is in their care, it could be any age. My 3 year old nephew is extremely helpful, gentle, and knows the rules. He did ask, 'Raymond eats his poop, I can eat my poop?'

Eenypup

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

I've been the main caretaker, with my father's help financially & as the car driver to the vet, since I was 12. Never once got 'bored', but then again my 11 year old sister got bored of her two rats and gave them to me a while back. She couldn't handle it at 11, I could have. Depends on the child.

theamazingbox

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:52 am

(eeny, your avatar piggy is so on my pignap list...if i could only figure out where in NJ)

Eenypup

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:00 am

Hehe, he's precious isn't he? He had stones surgery yesterday & sadly isn't doing too well quite yet.

To stay on topic, I'm 15 and am perfectly capable of handfeeding every five hours & waking up at 3 in the morning to medicate, hydrate, & handfeed Buzz (the avatar pig), which is our schedule right now.

HazelNut

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am

I agree with theamazingbox. There is no right answer, since its really the adult in the situation who will be caring for the guinea pig. Its also up to the adult, no matter what the age, to teach the child how to treat the pet. The child can be 2 and capable of helping and proper supervised handling or 17 and completely irresponsible and horrible to it.

EDIT: Here is my son at 3 and how he treated our pigs. But you can also look over YouTube and see teens having their pigs swim in a pool.
Last edited by HazelNut on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

theamazingbox

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am

He's quite the handsome guy, and very lucky to have such a responsible owner.
I know I probably wouldn't have been able to handle piggies when I was 15.