Children - Appropriate age for a Guinea Pig?

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:47 am

I think whether or not a pig is an appropriate choice really depends on the child themselves. Some kids will be super conscientious and capable and others will not. Parents need to evaluate as much as they can about pigs and their care and make an informed decision on two fronts:

1. Can my child do what it takes to reliably care for this/these pig(s) and safeguard them?
2. If the answer to # 1 turns out to be "No," am I committed to the high quality of care necessary for the pig(s) well being?

If the answer to either is "No," then a guinea pig is a poor choice as a pet at this time for you.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

I think 8 or 9 is a good age because the guinea pig will stay with the family until about when the child is ready to enter college. At that point they're also more emotionally developed and better able to empathize with guinea pigs and understand that they are living beings and not stuffed animals.

It's a lot to think about though. I mean, a kid may be interested in a guinea pig at age 8, but will they still be interested in taking care of a senior citizen guinea pig when they are in college, learning how to drive, going out with friends, going out on dates, studying for the SATs, applying to college, etc?

The parent needs to make the call depending on the child (How mature and responsible and empathetic is their child? Does the child lose interest quickly?) and how willing they are to pick up ANY slack when it comes to the care of the guinea pig, since there are times when they will undoubtedly have to.

If their family can do that, then I'm sure they'd be great caretakers. But if they think there is a chance the guinea pig will be surrendered or given up in the future, then they should just get their kid a stuffed animal.

And stress to the people you know that pet store and breeder pigs are a really, really bad idea.

cabaya

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't think a guinea pig should be a childs pet, but the family's pet. I think that parents can get a pig for their child, but they should be just as involved if not more than the child in the care of the pet. I wouldn't expect any young kid to be able identify and monitor health problems or know how much or what kind of vegetables to feed.

Also, it is a good idea to bring up the life span of a guinea pig to let them know that it may be up to the parents to provide all care when they child moves out or goes to college. If they are worried about this, let them know how equally great if not better an adult guinea pig can be.

And through the whole conversation mention adoption, adoption, adoption!

BuddyMommy

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm

I am on the younger side on this website. I got Buddy when he was just a wee little thing. He was my baby and my life. And still is. I'm not one of those tweens who spends there money on toys and stupid stuff you forget about and only use for a week. Babysitting is my job. All my money goes to the bank, Buddy, or things I NEED.

My order of importance is:

#1. Family
#2. School (I would like to keep my straight A's :))
#3. Buddy

I can't imagine what would happen to me when he's gone. He's a part of me. We can talk to each other without moving our lips.

Yes, I got Buddy from a pet store. I know better now. I bought him thinking he was a girl. (that's what the label said) First time he went to the vet, that all changed.

I am Buddy's main caregiver. I buy all of his food, treats, fleece, and pine shavings. (or anything else he needs) My parents are technically the owners of him. But they just think he's a pet. That's what everybody I know thinks he is just a pet. But he's more than that to me, he's a member of our family, and my baby!

The appropriate age for children dosn't matter about the age it just matters about the kid themself.

cabaya

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Buddymommy, same here about being the younger group. Im in my Junior year of high school, but I don't buy my pigs supplies. My parents are also technically the owners of my two pigs, but they don't come in my room and see the pigs everyday or anything. So they are my babies! :)

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Ditto on the idea of pigs being the family pet. No matter what, the parents have to be willing and able to care for the pig. Stuff comes up, vet bills can be huge and so forth. So unless the parent is 100% dedicated to adopting a new member of the family, I 'd say no way no matter what the age.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:22 pm

I wanted to chime in again with a note on responsibility.

A lot of people say "A guinea pig will teach my child responsibility."

Which sounds like it makes sense, until you realize that guinea pigs are animals that eat and poop and are completely dependent on human care, and not in a position to teach anything. They are, however, in a position to suffer from neglect.

The best way for a parent to teach responsibility is to model it. If they get a pet, they must commit to modeling the responsibility of taking care of a family pet to their child. If that is not possible, another way to model responsibility to the child is to teach them that, if it is not possible to provide a pet with a good home, the responsible thing to do is to not get a pet.

When I was young I never understood why my parents would not let me have a dog or even a guinea pig. "I'll learn how to be responsible!" I would protest. Now that I'm older I understand that there was not really a way for parents to responsibly handle a dog or even a small pet, and that it would have been irresponsible for my parents to let me try by myself.

GuinessGal

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 pm

I personally compare the responsibility of owning a pet to the responsibility of having a child. I know that pets do not equal children, legally, financially, etc., but the responsibility is the same.

I like the comparison because when asked, I'm sure many parents would say that their child wouldn't be able to handle one of their own. It would open up their eyes to how much responsibility they'd have to take on themselves.

Then again I haven't had any (human) children of my own yet, so my perspective might change on that.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 pm

As for the pigs teaching kids responsibility, it's the parents who should be doing that teaching!

I'm kind of not a good example of the age question. I got Lois when I was about 12. Once I got a job at 16, I had to pay for all of her expenses. I sacrificed the college money from my grandparents to set up her vet fund. I didn't move out for college because she couldn't live in the dorms. (She was actually one of the reasons I broke off my engagement- he thought I'd get rid of her when we married!) I actually chose this job in part because they would let me bring her in with me every day.

My parents now say they're not quite sure what the hell they were thinking back then. Lois has always been my primary responsibility- but my parents used her to help me learn how to be responsible. They were always there to help (aka ground me) when I failed to be responsible as a kid.

I think that's the key. If parents aren't willing to step in and do the extra work, they have no business with family pets. The child's age is kind of not the issue when you look at it that way.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:51 am

I was 4 when daddy got piggies. Yet, I was taught to be responsible, treat pets decent. He supervised and helpe d me to take care of them.

I had a friend over for a visit, her 11 year old son harrassed Kooky badly, she didn't even stop him, I had to step in quickly.

Hub has coworkers, who's 6-8 year old kids had 8 hammies dead in a year, one after the other, each one they got, says enough.

It depends on the parents, not the kids, I agree. If they can't teach kids how to treat a pet in a nice way, it's no use anyway.

jedifreac

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:00 pm

So is the conclusion then that it depends on the maturity of not the kid, but the maturity of the parent?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I have been debating this question myself. I have a daughter 12, and a son 10. We have always brought the kids up to have "family pets". We all take part in the animals and everyone has their own job of some kind or another. I make sure the jobs are being completed and do most of the actual work myself.

My daughter loves all of the animals, but always says when she grows up she wants no small animals, just 2 Golden Retrievers and 3 cats. She does pay more attention to our cat and dog than the caged animals, but has a close attachment to Allie-Belle (one of our pigs).

My son has also always played an active roll in the animals, but really has not gone out of way to pay more attention to one or the other, that is until we adopted rats about a year ago. He LOVES the rats and the rats seem to think he is pretty cool too. He has taught two of our rats tricks and he is allowed to take them out on his own and play with them, unlike the pigs. The rats are just easier for him to handle and can ride on his shoulder so I don't have to worry about him dropping them as much.

Anyways, for the past six months or so he has really wanted his own pet. He has been actively talking about it and really wants a rat of his own. The problem is rats tend to do better in pairs so he would have to have two of them. Another thing is the rescue does not adopt to kids, so I would have to say I was adopting them, which I guess I would be, but Kevin is really pushing the issue about them being "his".

I gave him one of our rats in hopes that woud tide him over, but to be honest the rats prefer me over anyone else, so if I walk by the rat is stretching out as far as she can to come and see me.

I don't know what to do. I have always taught my kids to love animals, and they have been involved with them from the time they could sit up. I love the fact that my son is showing so much interest in an animal that most people throw to the curbside. I just don't know if it is the right time for him to get his "own" pet....????