August is looking better for us

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:06 pm

July was rather traumatic at our house with the sudden death of Flash while we were on vacation and then Todd’s death just over a week later at the vet’s office. August is looking better as we have had a couple additions and I think it’s time to share them with you.

This is the little gal we pigsat for back in June. She is now back with us permanently. Her name is Mumble and she is at least 2 years old. She is a total sweetheart and loves to be held.

After some advice from my Brother in Law (PhD. In Psychology), we adopted two three month old brothers. We have not officially named the brothers yet but are thinking along the lines of Pumpkin & Spice, although Rumble & Tumble, Fred & George (Weasley) are all options They tend to go full “boar” until they just drop.

Now for a couple questions:
First, Mumble’s nails are a mess. The previous owner told me they had been trimmed once in the two years they had her. They are thick and curled. Also one of her front paws has a hard flap on it. Any advice for this? Do I keep her nails on the shorter side? Would foot soaks help? The hard flap does seem to hurt her when I touch it.

Second, Any thoughts on names for the brothers? Is having a Mumble, Rumble and Tumble way too cheesy? We admit we are horrid at naming pets as our black 90 lb. male German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix is named Fluffy. That's right, Fluffy!

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Cut those nails back to a reasonable length. You might hit the quick but you can use a styptic pencil to stop bleeding. Bribe the pig with carrots. It will hurt her way more to walk on those nails than the momentary pain of a cut quick.

The flap sounds like a spur. You can cut the dead skin off.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:17 pm

I have no advice to offer but did want to say those are some cute pigs you have. “Pumpkin & Spice” must have just gone “full boar” because they look totally wiped out.

Sydspigsmom
Piggy Patron

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Feylin, I had trimmed her nails back when we were pigsitting her but didn't get very agressive with them. I will definitely take care of them now. Will her nails always curl or will staying ahead of them help? I'll also try trimming the flap (as well as do a search for more info on spurs). Thanks for your advice.

Catie Cavy, Thanks! We think they are cute too. Oddly enough this is the only good picture we have of the two of them. All the other pictures have half shots of one of them running off!

theamazingbox

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I love Pumpkin and Spice! Mumble looks like a troublemaker. My Jameson had horrifyingly long nails. I've been able to trim them a little shorter each time, but they're not yet back to normal, and it's been at least 8 months.

LynnK

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:06 pm

I have always liked the spice names they can really fit a pet of any type or breed.

Fluffy? Now that's different!

clairey

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 pm

If they're so hyper, I think Fred and George fit the boys. But then, I am a big fan of people-names for pets.

Mumbles looks so squishy and scritchable.

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Hmm names for brothers, this can be fun depending on their personalities..

Tom and John (Fogerty)

Ray and Dave (Davies)

Cain and Abel ( if they are rivals) Abel and Seth otherwise.

Cronus, Hyperion Promethius or Uranus

John and Bobby (Kennedy) if they are diplomatic piggies

Wilbur and Orville if they are jumpers or adventurous.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Careful that the flap isn't bumblefoot when trimming.

I love Mumble!

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:53 pm

If you go in for a vet check, they can cut the flap. Mine does for me all the time. My pig that had long nails has 2 that are permanently curled.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:59 pm

I tended to just cut the huge curly nails when I was doing rescue pigs.

You can do the gradual thing, but if the nails are altering the shape of the foot or the pig's gait- you have to cut them off because the pig is walking in pain. For example, if the nail is curled under the toe /foot pad or if the nail pushes the toe up off the floor when walking. That's when I just cut past the quick.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:46 pm

If you cut the nails in June and you are doing an aggressive cut now, they should be receding nicely. (Feylin's advice is very sound!)

If the skin flap looks like a large hang nail, then it is probably not bumble foot just a spur. If there is swelling and irritation plus the skin flap, then that needs antibiotics.

I think Tumble and Rumble are GREAT boarly names. Plus it goes with the Mumble theme. :)