Shoud I or shouldn't I (himi alert)?

AnnSF
Supporter 2010 - 2011

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:39 am

Hi everyone,
As some of you might know I have two unaltered males, Racer and Romeo.
They are appr. 2 yers old and live in a 5x3 CC-cages with two upper kitchen areas 1x2 and 1x3.
So far I haven't seen any rumble strutting, boar glue, humping or other "exciting" things going on in the cage. The boys just get along very well.
The only time I hear some teeth chattering is at food time, because Romeos passion for food is larger then life and he just seems to think that he's the one to choose the fist pick of the foodbowls.
I have sometimes thought about adding a new piggie, but have been too afraid of disturbing the peace we are happy to have.

But, now I'm in love! with him:

His about 2 months old and he is a big I WANT.
But the question is: Am I heading for trouble if I try to introduce a new piggie into my bonded pair.
Any advice or thoughts are higly appriciated
Ann

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 am

Oh he is too cute. I vote on getting him but I covet a himi piggie. I don't think anyone here will tell you not to get him heehee. (Unless he isn't a rescue)

If he is 2 months, he is technically still a baby. A baby may be easier to introduce but it will change the dynamics probably. Can you expand your cage?

DaCourt

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:16 am

Her current pigs are already in a 3x5. That is pretty big. I say get him (if he is a rescue), but like sus...I love me some himis.

AnnSF
Supporter 2010 - 2011

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 am

Hi and thanks for your replies,

I live in Finland and the rescue situation is very different from the one in the USA.
There is not really any guinea pig rescues, thus the reason why I'm a monthly donor on sponsor a guineapig.
Sometimes the rescue in our main capital Helsinki gets in guineapigs (I've a freaquent lurker at their site for 2 years now) but very seldom a single one.
I've seen one single male on their pages and when I phoned the next day it had already gotten a home.

There are a few options on getting pigs here:
- buy from a pet store. The majority of the stores here in Finland are actually OK. They advocate that piggies shoud not be alone and follow the stated minimirequirements for the cage sizes.
But that said they are still petstores and I don't want to support them in any way.

- buy from a leagalised breeder (there are about 20 in the whole country). This means they are checked by the guineapig association, not allowed to sell single pigs, unless the buyer already has a pig waiting at home and so on.

- buy from privat peoples adds, where the reason for wanting to part from your pig is usually allergies or lack of time or breeders that have their adds.
The majority are bonded pairs unless it's breeder adds.

So this boy I found on a privat add. He already had a home and was then given up because the very famous reason allergies.
His is now by a lady who already is up to her maximum so he needs to find a new home.
Probably this would not fit into the terms of reascue in the states, but here in Finland it's preatty much the closest I can come.

Ann

DaCourt

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 am

I think that would classify as a rescue. Many people here have gotten pigs from private ads. I think he is adorable. Kepp in mind if you do get him, you will need to baby proof your cage.

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 am

That would qualify as a rescue - and I'm all about more himis!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 am

He is absolutely adorable! Love your pics, AnnSF!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 am

I vote if you have the resources and time for another piggy to go for it. I have 3 males in a 3x4 cage and just introduced a 5th male to my 3x6 cage. So far so good in the larger cage. The 3 boys who have been living together do really well and are my older fellows.

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 am

Oh my gosh he's adorable!

Brenda B

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 am

Eeeeee! Get him!

theamazingbox

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

That is some cute chubberpig. Do you have room for another cage in the event they don't get along?

zazzified

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 am

He is SO CUTE. He looks like he is smiling!