H1N1 and guinea pigs

Zesty J

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:18 pm

This may be a dumb question, but does anybody know if H1N1 (swine flu) is able to be passed on to guinea pigs?

I live by myself in a college town, and I need to make preparations in advance for my pigs' care in the event that I come down with it. It becomes especially urgent if it is in fact, contagious to guinea pigs.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Shanna
Supporter in '17

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 pm

I had the same question, myself. I'm glad that you asked.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 am

My guess would be no - I don't think guinea pigs and humans can share the flu virus. It would probably be a good idea to prepare for pet care in the event that you are sick and can't do it, but simply cleaning a cage or feeding (with clean hands) should be okay.

If someone has information to the contrary, I'll stand corrected!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 pm

I've had it and the pigs survived, but I don't think it can be passed on to them anyway. I did use good general hygiene practices like washing hands often and before touching their food or them and try not sneezing or breathing over them etc and no kisses! Disposed of all used tissues quickly by flushing or in household rubbish and kept the place well ventilated. I also had one of those gel hand cleaners too.

Since I was feeling crappy with it, I didn't spend much time with the pigs anyway other than the basics which is probably a good thing. :·)

4 posts • Page 1 of 1