Baxter's med thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 pm

UTI or URI?

URI's are reasonably contagious. UTI's not so much, although it is possible with poor husbandry. I don't think that's the case at your house.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 pm

My bad, URI. I always do that, but I meant URI! Usually I catch myself. Thanks for pointing that out!

Jeeves sounds ok tonight but I'm going to start him on ABs anyway just to be sure.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Probably a good idea.

zazzified

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 am

The vet didn't seem super thrilled with me because they "like to see an animal before putting him on antibiotics," but I did persuade him to prescribe some for Jeeves also in light of the fact that they've seen Jeeves recently, they're treating Baxter, and they live together. Oy.

He seemed baffled when I told him they live on fleece. Ha! I'm sure the other vets who work more with guinea pigs are familiar with it but I felt weird having to explain it, because it probably sounds gross to people who don't get how it works/haven't seen it in action.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Horray for getting the meds! Hey, you gave the vet something to think about.

zazzified

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Yep, and once again I find myself thankful that they're open until 8 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays! Phew.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:13 pm

The only VET I have ever known to be familiar with *C&C cages* is one that was already using them for her tortoise.

!!!!!!!

I usually end up giving them the Cavy Cages website and hoping for the best. Part of the battle we face is how conservative, and resistant to positive change, many vets are. In some ways that's safe and good. In some ways, not so much.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm

So Baxter is producing some short poop. Not pinched off, just...shorter pieces that otherwise look totally normal. Otherwise both pigs are going steady, maintaining their weight, not getting worse, etc. They already get some probiotic sprinkled on their pellets. Should I be concerned?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

If he's maintaining his weight and otherwise okay, I guess I would not worry.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Ok, thanks! I would definitely be concerned if they looked strange in any other way, of course, but they're just shorter, non pinched off versions of the regular ones!

zazzified

Post   » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Well, both pigs aren't making any weird noises that I have noticed. Baxter only has a couple days left of his two week course but Jeeves will have more after Baxter finishes. I'm very hopeful that we're in the clear.

Brenda B

Post   » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Yay for no noises!!!