Tired of hay everywhere?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm

I am not sure how many flakes that it holds. Maybe 1/3 of a bale?

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Lynx, I looked at that page (which is very nice!) and I noticed that it states "Hay storage should be free of rodents".

My pigs would like to violently disagree with that statement.

DaCourt

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 pm

I am confused. So you don't bring the hay to the hay rack, but instead bring the hay rack to the hay?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm

So you don't bring the hay to the hay rack, but instead bring the hay rack to the hay?
Yes, I used to bring the hay rack to the hay. Now I can roll around the hay and unclip the haybins and fill them up right at the cage.

If I was to have brought the hay to the hayrack it all drops out of my hand as I am walking to the cage and makes a mess. I hate cleaning up hay. Not that I don't have to anyways, but why give myself even more work. Right?

jaydee6561
Not a Fighter

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Weaver, thanks so much for the wonderful idea!

I've been shlepping my box of hay from the kitchen to the cages twice a day, every day.

And although many people don't want a hamper in their living room (heck, my niece tried to get me to get the pigs out of the living room!), the hamper works perfectly for me.

Didn't use the same one, but would not have thought of it without you!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I am so glad that it is working well for you.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Jaybeebrad, where did you get those shelves at?

jaydee6561
Not a Fighter

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 am

My shelves are from buyrack.com. Those are 2 x 4 cages which work well for me since I do need grids in the front. See how the coroplast overhangs the shelf by a little inthe front. The unit itself is 48 x 24, which is narrower than a standard cc 2x4. It was expensive though, but worth every penny to me.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:29 am

I like how open your cages are and how close they are to the couch. You can either watch TV or watch your guinea pigs.

dob65

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 am

This is a perfect idea. I keep my hay stash in the laundry room anyway so it will fit in. I use a grocery bag (the reusable green ones) to transfer the days supply from the laundry room to the living room where the girls are. I hang this bag from the loft area between refills. I sometimes find Olga sitting in the corner of the loft trying to figure out how to get to the bag!

Now that I will have more storage, it's time to order more hay! KM here I come!

gagemini74

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:30 pm

What a wonderful idea!!!! I am adding two more pigs that I am adopting from STF, so that will mean much more hay. I was wondering how to keep it fresh and off the floor, since it is going to be double time! THANKS for sharing!!

PiggieLover22

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

Oh no! The pictures are not showing up. Does anyone else have any ideas?