Marshmallow - Thyroid adenoma

terriuvm

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 am

We are new gp owners and unfortunately picked up one 3 weeks ago that the vet suspects (by palpitating) that it has a thyroid issue. The other one seems fine and came from the same cage at the pet store.

Vet did not mention any options for care, just that breathing problems (due to growth restricting windpipe) and death usually happen within 2-3 months.

Now reading here I see there are options. Anyone give me some ballpark figures on cost of surgery and/or medication treatment?

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 am

Tapazole is cheap; I think ours was $15 for a month's supply. Don't know price of surgery.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:41 pm

At the time (this was several years ago), LT's surgery was something like $168.

Bear in mind that the surgeon was something of a cowboy, albeit a damned good one. He gave us a large price break just because it was a challenging surgery and he wanted to learn from it.

Having said that, you'll probably be looking at well over $168, but it shouldn't be into the thousands. If I had to guess I'd ballpark it at a reasonably challenging lump, barring complications -- say, $400-$670 or so.

Best thing to do is take your little one to a cavy-knowledgeable vet (the one you saw emphatically isn't) and see what they say.

Elle Robins

Post   » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:22 am

Hi, I have found your thread and found the information so helpful. I run a small community rescue sanctuary in East Sussex for buns and pigs. My aweful concerns are for our little long termer called Alfie who we have had since he was 6mths old (rescue from the clutches of a bun and a colony of pigs who had shunned him) anyway Alfie is now 6 and half years old and my dear little boy.
I also noticed a grape-sized lump in his throat after vets couldnt find out why he was not able to eat solids for a good couple of long weeks?? with weight loss etc., anyway we have now had pathology done and confirmed the above (no tumour or abcess) it was aspirated for pathogy but because of its sighting and his age they have not recommended surgery. The poor chap wants to eat and we even caught him at his bowl of dry mix diet but cant take the hard food to swallow (along with his 'slurry' which I have made up of Supa Guinea with warm water (+ vit C) mixed with some Oxbow CC. Alfie eats it from the bowl so no need to syringe him which is great but his body weight is slowly climbing down from 780 to 700grms and I am desperate to find something to pack in the calories. Alfie is clearly not an 'ill' piggy but the lump is preventing him from eating normally. Any help would be welcome and I have mailed the Cambridge Cavy Trust in the hope for some advice. Thanks again. Warm wishes. Elle

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 am

What did the pathology reveal? Is it a staff infection (possible CL, requiring safe antibiotics and/or cleaning/removal of the lump)?

Elle Robins

Post   » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:29 pm

hi, pathology indicated no malignant tumour nor pus from abscess; general obs were lymph node swelling at the base of throat (took 3 weeks to put in an appearance I found it giving him a bed bath one sunday afternoon!) when removing cells by syringe they came across a boney matter so decided to retreat

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Marshmallow was diagnosed with heart disease about a month ago. The xray showed that the heart was so big it was impinging on the trachea. We tried lasix and enalapril for about a month but ultimately her health declined so much that we had her euthanized yesterday. Such a sweet girl had such a tough time in the short time she was with us.

Piggster

Post   » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

I'm so sorry. Thanks for taking her in and providing the wonderful care that you did.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:12 am

I'm very sorry that sweet Marshmallow is gone. She was so fortunate to have your expert care and kindness.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:02 am

I am so sorry, CavyHouse.