Three boars, one cage.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 am

Such adorable babies.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:06 am

Deep in the pink paper bag, Cashew was preparing to take the veterinary limelight.

It started with squeeking, grunting, weight loss and heaving and ended with two quizzical vets and a large vet bill and no results. Awesome.

He didn't light up like a Christmas pig under the x-ray and his urinalysis didn't scream for action. His test results came back at a time when I had to quickly relocate myself from my mouldy flat to my boyfriends well aired, well lit rental in the more pleasant side of the city... and Cashew's weight - along with the other boys - did a predicted drop and then rapid gain in response.

Since then, Cashew's weight has remained stable and the intensity of his pain reduced and isn't as frequent as it was at the peak of his treatment. I feel like, in essence, I did nothing to aid his recovery - besides making him ingest a concoction of prescribed (unnecessary?) antibiotics and forcing pain relief and critical care down his throat. Perhaps he has an addiction to CC that he wanted sated... perhaps we missed something and it's going to come back bigger, badder and worse. Perhaps I should look into treating him for interstitial cystitis before that happens.

I find it interesting how something so small can make me feel so utterly useless.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:47 pm

I sympathize, Cable. It's so hard when they have these mystery illnesses. :( I hope Cashew stays healthy. He's so cute.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:46 pm

In three weeks the boys have travelled to the west end of Glasgow and back. They are by far the most well-travelled pigs I have ever owned.

Their first adventure was to the Boyfriend flat. What was originally planned to be a three-day gatecrash of his floor turned into a 3-week marathon. Mid-way through their stay I couldn't help but feel that the cramped temporary 2x3 C&C was somewhat poorly planned. The theory was that in three days the boys wouldn't have settled enough to beat each other up. As it happened, they're good room mates and didn't seemed bothered by the cramped conditions...

However, just because the three boys were tolerant of the small space didn't mean they'd be happy to welcome intruders... especially not "Beat Up Peeg"

In fact, they became so use to being in such close proximity with each other I could swear sometimes that they had become one pig...

But that doesn't mean that everypig is invited to the same party. Cashew, in his role of dominant skittish pig, was still keen to make sure Koda and Mimic knew who was boss of the hay... if only they'd listen...

But it wasn't all bad. The pigs soon learned how to manipulate the other flatmates and it was at Boyfriends that MIMIC learned to wheek for veggies! I soon found out that my poor starving pigs were actually being snuck lettuce leaves from their lettuce bag by certain Other Flat Members who felt sorry that the pigs were being left alone in the room while I was working or busying myself trying to move into my flat.

Also, Boyfriends flat has a garden. Where there's a garden in Scotland, there's grass!!

I swear, the neighbours thought I was nuts going outside to collect bagfuls of grass for the day...

Soon, before the pigs developed bloat from all the grass they were given, it was finally time to move into our new flat...

The only problem is that... well... I'm an idiot. I called a taxi to come and collect the pigs and the remainder of my stuff, the parting comment of the girl taking my call was that it was at the drivers discretion as to whether he'd take me - and my entire cage - or whether he'd think it was a job suited for a moving van...

... cue me being an idiot and not connecting that they thought I was travelling with a CAGE and not grids and connectors...

I panicked and while Boyfriend was rolling his eyes I grabbed the pigs, my bags and fled to the waiting taxi and then ... realised I only had what grids I had in my bag.

Owner Fail.

At least the pigs have been upgraded to the living room until the rest of their cage arrives.

All of this travelling seems to have made my pigs look a bit neglected. Soon to follow will be picture of the pigs Cage warming and their After-Travel Spa treatment consisting of Critical Care Cocktails, nail clipping, shampooing and a full salad buffett!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Great story! Glad everyone did well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I love seeing all that grass! Guinea pigs love grass (and yours are so cute!).

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 pm

I love Mimic! And I am very glad they all get along so great :)

chataignon

Post   » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I love your pigs, they are too cute. And they looked so happy with all that grass!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:46 pm

My pigs are so jealous of the grass. I have some of the green stuff but my dad keeps insisting it remains 'lawn' so the 'grass fairy' mysteriously cuts it during working hours... grrrr!

Glad the little 'uns get on so well now. :·)

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Today, since I've misplaced my nail clippers during the move, I took the three boys to the vet to have their nails clipped.

Poor Mimic had two of his nails clipped too short and, while struggling, decided to kick and smear blood all over my t-shirt. I felt somewhat awkward walking out of the room, but not as bad as I felt for poor Mimic who was reduced to a piggie-whimpering mess near the end of his session.

Due to the stress of today I decided to not poke at them with a camera and instead gave them extra veggies for not biting either me or the vet.

Cashew has also put on .05kg - woop! I'm hoping he'll be able to gain back his missing .15kg - that would make me happy to have him back to his original fatty weight.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Poor babies but it sounds as though they're doing well.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:50 am

I've been informed by Koda that despite the drama and disorganisation caused by moving flat once, we need to move again.

Koda does not like the living room floor. Not even for parsley.