Hay Holders Unsafe and Alternatives

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm

I've seen use of wire and wheel hay racks and mangers in a number of cages. While I will not name anyone, I want to stress the severity of these causing problems and worse.

If you, or anyone you know that uses any of wire hay rack, hay manger, hay wheel, hay ball, I am URGING you to remove them promptly, bend them up so they can not ever be used and toss them out!

These are two examples
http://www.pet-shop.net/html/crbowl.html#Manger
http://www.pet-shop.net/html/crbowl.html#Spin

Back in December of "08 I decided after reading Sniget's post about Tweak that was the last straw, I knew I could come up with something and designed two safer alternatives for hay. The most recent being called the Hay Hammock. It's shown in use here.

I apologize for bringing up hurtful past to Sniget, but I hope her post has helped others as I'm sure she would want it to. So in Sniget's and Tweaks behalf (with permission) I would also like to donate two dollars to the rescue of her choice for each full size hay hammock I sell.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:26 am

I love the hay hammocks! They look like a great idea. Now I have to see what's left after paying the bills and then I'll email you :)

Thanks for bringing up the topic of unsafe hay racks! I remember seeing those unsafe hay racks in different posts.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 am

After rereading about unsafe hay racks I started watching Bubba use the modified grid rack I made. I may have to order one of those hay hammocks from you in the near future.

For now, however, I'm thinking about going back to stuffing hay in a paper lunch sack or tissue box (which is what I use for Percy).

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

I think these are great WindeSpirit. I know at my house we don't use any type of hay holders and the hay gets peed all over and wasted. I think with these, they will keep the hay dry and the pigs safe. You can't go wrong with that. I am definitely getting some of these!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:47 am

GuineaPiggin, I'm glad you'll be going back to stuffing hay in things. And anyone else that as well, that's all I ask you do. It's just so heartbreaking having to read stories, I'm sure you know.

Bytxlaura, yes there has been to many, and more since Kaytee started putting them free in their hay bags.

Momof3, true it does help eliminate the waste, but that really is not points I'm hoping to stress right now. I just want to get people aware of the unsafe holders and what not, an offer the alternative I kept getting asked for. I hope that didn't come out sounding wrong!

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 am

No, didn't come off wrong at all. I just meant in addition to the safety aspect it will be nice to keep the hay up off of the ground as well. I think a lot of people probably just do the piles because of how unsafe most hay racks are.

Kaylee

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I will remove the hay rack I've got and start collecting paper bags for hay stuffing. I'm not sure why it's even there, they jump in and pee on the hay anyway....

I'm gonna have to save up, maybe I'll be able to buy a safe hay rack for Christmas. Unless you're donating one? *runs over to auction forum*

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 pm

I use to do the hay piles to, and know where you are coming from though. I just hope I'm not being seen as trying to push a product I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I think it's time for some more wake up caffeine before I say much more!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Kaylee - aren't you one who does drawings? *grins*

cabaya

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 pm

You don't sound like you are being pushy at all. But it is good that you tell about this product as it may be the best alternative. People need to know about it!

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:23 pm

I don't think it seems like that at all. It's great that you are making those aware of the dangers of the store brought products. I bet a lot of people are using them for lack of a better product.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:43 pm

I have a question. Maybe it's the picture, but the hammack looks narrow. Do you have problems with them just pulling it all down instead of pulling it through the holes? I really like the concept and would definately consider getting one. Our cage is powder blue and brown and would love one in those colors.