Hay Holders Unsafe and Alternatives

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Thank you cabaya and momof3, very reassuring I'm not being misunderstood :)

DaCourt - hammocks are 12-13 inches on the shortest side, but remember how hammocks form a U shape as well. As for pulling it all down, no, I have to push it through myself before it will fall through and it still sort of hangs for the piggies not to graze at, even when the weaves expand in that particular space.
Oh and if you do not see a print, all you need to do is ask :)

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I actually thought they might pull it off the sides. Like stand up, put their paws on it and pull it off. But the picture is deceiving because it does not look like it is that wide. Glad I asked. What a clever idea. I think I will be placing an order and try it out.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Oh, I see what you mean, yes they do that to.
T-patch was getting shunned the other day from the girls and he did have to eat from the side or get kick boxed from Flora. It was really cute to see him on his hind legs, that was the only time he's done it in the month it's been up.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Now that is a good idea. I have a box that I keep full of hay. At least half of the hay is wasted, pooped, peed in, and strewn about the cage.

I'd love to get rid of it to give them more room.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Do you have anything in a farm/zoo/circus animal print? My cage has a dark blue and yellow "theme" going for it.

Charzard03

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Im actually really glad you put this up, I was going to head over to the petshop to go and get one of the hayracks you mentioned for my piggies tommorow as alot of hay has been wasted by them lately, I won't go get one now and waste my money on something potentially harmfull.
Thanks for making this thread

rkog

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I've got two of those hay manager racks (or something very similar, can't remember the name that came on them). I've never had any problems with them. My pigs don't climb into them. I guess it would be safer if I put a top across to ensure they couldn't even if they had the urge. Thanks for mentioning the issues.
I have a feeling my pigs would drag the hay from the hammock to the cage floor.

LynnK

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I bought a couple of those large plastic balls at the pet store and for a while I used them as hay bins, but they kept peaing in them all the time so I got rid of them and went with just a plain brown paper lunch bags. I'm not sure if that hammok would work in my situation and I'm not sure what I can afford right now any way but they are very nice, great job WindeSpirit!
Last edited by LynnK on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:53 pm

I think it woiuld be safer to just not use them. Just because they have not done it in the past, does not mean they will not do it in the furture.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 am

I would not use them either. You always have to think about the "what ifs". I don't want to risk it.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Charzard03 - I'm really glad you read this before getting those things!

Rkog - it would be much safer to just take them out, period. DaCourt is right, you never know when/if that "one time" is going to come. I know if I were you, I'd rather put hay on the floor then some possible day wish I had. Not that much different from breeding and knowing the possible outcome that has.

LynnK - I'm glad you stopped using the balls as well. Piggies love to play in the paper bags anyhow, and they are easy to toss out and get a new one.

GPiggin - when I get a order in you can select fabrics, I know I'll be heading to the fabric store today to. I can also mix things up, like every other strip blue and yellow or how ever. Best to email about this though.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:57 pm

I thought of another idea, and this shouldn't be to hard for anyone to do. You'll need two things:
White card stock
Scissors

(you can use plain printer paper also but be sure to tear all edges so there will not be any paper cuts.)

Cut roughly a two inch strip off the sheet of card stock, does not matter from which side.

With the large piece make a slit about a inch away from the top in the center and two inches wide, do the same on bottom.

With the two inch strip you cut off, push it through both slits so the sides join together, you can do this an extra time. Now fold the extra so it semi secures it in place. It will loosed a little. Fill with hay and watch piggies play.

This is just a guide, master it how ever you wish :)