Intestinal Gas

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm

!@#$%^&*

A 21 gauge is too big except for a tough pig. She needs a 23 or a 25.

The 21 will help the fluids go in faster but the initial stick will ... uhm, get her attention. (And your neighbors as well.)

Any chance you can get them to give you some 23 or 25 gauge butterfly sets?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but there are some links to "tips and tricks" threads on this link:

LINKS - Fluid Therapy / "Subcues"

egustavson

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:19 am

Uh-oh. I don't think I can go through with it again tonight. They got the butterfly needles from another vet. The other needle was even bigger. I may be able to get them at a medical supply store. I can check tomorrow.

I did read some of the posts in the links. It seems lots of others have stuck themselves multiple times.

She was 18g heavier after feeding her tonight. I didn't think I could do any more because she started to whimper and I was afraid she was getting too full. Also, she struggled quite a bit more than she did earlier so she was probably exhausted. She ate three small leaves of baby romaine in between syringes.

Brenda B

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 am

Putting weight back on takes a long time, much longer than it takes them to lose it so the fact that she is the same is actually very very good!

Keep it up. I agree, YOU ROCK! :)

Talishan, you are smart! And kind.

egustavson

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:46 pm

I have had trouble getting butterfly catheters with smaller needles. There aren't any medical supply places that have them in stock. A friend who works for a biotech company was going to try to find some for me.

Sylvester continues to have pink-melon colored urine. The vet says it may take two weeks for it to clear up-- the whole course of the antibiotics. Does that sound likely?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 pm

We often see improvement sooner. Often within a few days. I would think if you are seeing blood in urine after a week, the antibiotic may not be working or other avenues should be checked.

egustavson

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks, Lynx. She has only been on Sulfatrim for 3 days.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Brenda B, thank you for the compliment. I have just stuck myself too many times not to be able to empathize. ;-) (An 18 g through the finger makes one horrible mess, just so you know.)

Ditto Lynx on the pink urine. It should be mitigating by now if not totally cleared. Mumble.

Don't freak at the box of 50. They don't go bad

more

Nipro and Terumo make the best ones IMHO.

If she's struggling more, that makes your job harder but it is a good sign. Struggling means she has the energy and the will to fight you, which is good. (For her.)

sammianne

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Gosh this sounds all to similar to what Niles is dealing with in many ways. I am so sorry you are going through this, but you are doing great. Keep up the good work with the handfeeding, medicating and subcues. I will keep Sylvester in my thoughts.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

My friend brought #25 butterfly needles and may be able to help me with the subQ today.

I am concerned about the pink urine; I called Dr. Nakamura's office and spoke to a technician. The technician did not think it was an emergency situation so, I have an appointment for Tuesday. However, if anything changes for the worse, she said I should bring her sooner.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 pm

A med friend is a good friend indeed! :-)

The 25 gauge will be the most comfortable for her. The fluids will go in very slowly because the needle is so small. You will have to really push on the plunger. Don't give up. Your friend will show you this. Just tell him or her that guinea pigs have very tough skin.

I am immensely relieved you are going to see Dr. Naka.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Just hitting this since I bumped up all the auctions, so this will go back to the top. :) sorry for the interruption.