Surgery Today, Need Good Thoughts - Bleeding/Pyometra

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:18 pm

She is doing so well! She looks so much better than she did last night. She's alert, snuggly, eating and pooping. They sent us home with Critical Care as well as 4 medicines, a syringe for the critical care and a syringe for each of the meds. She's eating her veggies now and I am keeping track of how much she is actually eating.

The medicines they gave us are Meloxicam, Metoclopramide, Metronidazole, and Enrofloxacin.

I'll post pictures later. Thanks again for all of the help and support, I really do appreciate it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 pm

I hope she recovers fine. Her behavior sounds encouraging. I trust you will ensure she keeps eating.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Yes, I will make certain she continues eating. She's still eating her veggies and now her pellets. She hasn't eaten any hay yet though. I'm getting alot of poop but they are not consistent in shape and size. Would this be normal after a major surgery and just beginning to eat today?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Because of the distruption in food intake, I would think some irregularities might be expected.

zazzified

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Jeeves' poop was pretty irregular for a few days. Some normal, some goofy looking, but all the normal color.

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Now the poop is getting pretty squishy, still in the shape of normal poop but when you pick it up it is really wet and squishy. She's puffy and just has an "I feel icky" look to her. I'm not leaving her side.

New poop, now it is squishy piles, not shaped. I'm a little concerned.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Is Sprinkle eating any hay yet?

How much Meloxicam is she getting?

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Eating some hay and getting .08ml of Meloxicam. I just gave her the 2nd doses of all 4 meds. Poop is and has been not formed for a few hours now. I'm staying with her until her poop is normal again because I'm concerned.

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Even though she is eating should I give her Critical Care since she is having diarrhea? Will that help or make it worse? I'm really getting worried.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm glad she's feeling better after her surgery.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Can you tell if she has true diarrhea (a watery mess) or very soft, unformed droppings?

True diarrhea is an emergency.

https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#diarrhea

Critical Care contains probiotics, which may help with the diarrhea.

If you are mixing the Critical Care with fruit/juice/veggies, you may want to stop. She probably should not get any fresh food (fruits and veggies) until her droppings become more normal.

Offer her lots of Critical Care and hay. Unflavored Pedialyte may be helpful, to keep her hydrated.

You may want to contact your vet and ask if you should continue giving her the Enrofloxacin (Baytril).

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:51 pm

not water, some thickness to it but not even close to being formed. just gave her approx 1/2 tsp by syringe. she is 1000g. should I give her more or less? Thanks for the help.