barbells

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:26 pm

Yeah, that's why math is the only homework I don't type.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:27 pm

Yeah, the board kindly deletes extra spaces from typing.

Helpful, no?

PauloF

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:27 pm

I am posting this in a difference message so that you get the right concentration and to prevent any more messing up with numbers.

According to your calculation, two 22.7mg tablet and .09 ml would get you a concentration of 504.44 mg/ml. That would be pretty dangerous.

What you need is 0.9 ml of water.

See the difference that the first "0" makes? 0.09 ml and 0.9 ml.

Never skip that first "0" before the decimal point to be safe.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:34 pm

I get it Paulo, thanks.

I dissolved 2 tablets into .9 ml of water.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:45 pm

Hey, as Nurgle pointed out, the pills have some volume also. Your figures will not be accurate.

Now that you dissolved 2 tabs in 0.9ml of water, draw the whole thing into a 1cc syringe. If it doesn't fit (because the pills understandably displace more than 0.1cc of water) you will have to adjust it.

This is the same sort of thing I had to deal with when figuring the horse paste. The paste is not listed by volume, but by weight so diluting was tricky.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:48 pm

Well then, I'm most likely in trouble, because I had the 22.7 mg pills and my vet told me a quarter of a pill per dose. I just broke the tablet into quarters and shoved each piece into their mouths with a hematocrit. No pigs died here, anyway....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
OK, I went and checked Squeaks page, and apparently that is fine. EAch quarter of a pill gives you 5.68 mgs, which is within the 2.5-10 mg range. Whew.

Hey Chary, you could do it this way if you wanted. MUCH easier than diluting, syringing, etc.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:14 pm

he he. This is all too confusing and I'm really just treading water here.

The dilution method is not bad. Pulling all of them out for Baytril twice a day is no pignic, but I think shoving pills into all of their little mouths might be a little more effort than I can muster right now.

Thanks, KM, for donating the Baytril!

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:22 pm

I just broke the tablet into quarters and shoved each piece into their mouths with a hematocrit.
Can't help myself, sorry... but don't you mean hemostat? A hematocrit is when they do those little sticks with blood, spin them in a centrifuge, and do a blood count.

I've tried giving pills with those evil sticks that have a rubber tip and those are so difficult because the animal always spits it out or the pill doesn't fall out into their mouth. So maybe a hemostat would work better.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:39 pm

...or maybe a roach clip...

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:51 pm

Umm...just a thought, but what about refiguring doses for 22.7mg/ml?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:10 am

I think the quarter pill thing sounds good. Must say I had a hell of a time a couple years ago giving pills though. Ended up crushing it in water and syringing the dose. Yes, I'm sure KM meant a hemostat. It's listed in the Rural Emergency Guide: https://www.guinealynx.info/findingavet. ... dicalguide

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:44 am

That's a good idea, Mel. Why don't you come over and refigure the doses for 34 pigs? I'll be waiting.