Surgery Today, Need Good Thoughts - Bleeding/Pyometra

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:27 am

"not watery" is good!

"just gave her approx 1/2 tsp by syringe. she is 1000g. should I give her more or less?"

Do you mean you fed her 1/2 tsp of Critical Care? Does she seem to like it?

She can have as much Critical Care as she wants; it is a handfeeding formula designed to help herbivores when they are ill, or not eating.

So, she'll need enough Critical Care to help her maintain her own weight. If you notice that she starts to lose weight, you'll need to feed her more, or more often.

Some guinea pigs enjoy eating a Critical Care "meatball" from a plate. Others need to be handfed from a syringe.

I hope some of this helps. I know how stressful it is to have a sick guinea pig.

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 am

Yes, I meant that I gave her 1/2 tsp of Critical Care. I was holding her and typing with one finger so I was trying to keep it short. She doesn't seem to care for it, I tried it in a bowl and then in a ball and finally went to the syringe. She was not happy with me. I will continue to weigh her and feed her the CC and hay.

I'm staying on the floor in her room tonight because I'm pretty scared. She isn't going as much as she was earlier, so I've begun to relax a little bit. I will just be so happy to see a solid, normal poop from her.

I appreciate your help so much.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:06 am

You are doing such a wonderful job with Sprinkle. I hope she has a calm and restful night, and feels better soon.

There are some links to threads with "recipes" for making Critical Care more enjoyable for guinea pigs on this thread:
LINKS - Critical Care Recipes for Handfeeding

Canned pumpkin (not the one with spices for making pumpkin pie) seems to be popular.

KenziesCavies

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:47 pm

A little update on my Sprinkle, she seems to be better this morning. It was a long night because I just couldn't sleep, I was afraid she would go downhill if I went to sleep. Kept giving her the Critical Care, much to her dismay.

So when I picked her up yesterday, the tech gave me her meds and had each syringe marked to where to fill (dosage) and told me to give her all 4 meds twice a day until gone. At about 3:00 this morning I am reading the Metoclopromide and it says to give until she is eating well on her own. Well duh, she was eating well on her own, she had started eating veggies I had taken while she was still at the hospital. So I did not give her the dose of that this morning. I was giving her more Critical Care as well as hay. Her poop was getting a little better. When I picked it up it didn't smear, it was thicker than before. A little bit ago I gave her a leaf of red leaf and she is munching on it and had a more formed poop. Still soft but a definite improvement.

I will just feel so much better once her poop is normal. I just can't really feel comfortable leaving her alone until it is.

Sidera17

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Healing vibes for Sprinkle!

KenziesCavies

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm

A little update on Sprinkle and the pictures that I said I would post. First, she is doing really well. I was concerned there for a bit when her poops where not solid. I didn't sleep much until Monday night when they started firming up and taking the shape of her normal poops. They are still a tad on the soft side but she is eating well and is alert and happy and gaining weight. I really appreciate the people that posted and helped me through a very difficult time. I was scared and your good thoughts and advice helped me alot. So, here are some pictures.

This is her uterus. The big thing is the pyometra (uterine infection). It is absolutely awful that was growing in her and I had no idea. She was perfectly healthy and happy and you would have never known. If anyone ever sees blood, get to the vet immediately. This thing was huge and we had no idea until the morning there was blood on her fleece.

This is her a few hours after surgery when we went to visit her. The dr. told me to bring some veggies but she was not interested at all. It was scary seeing her like this, she did not look good at all.

This is a picture of her insicion.

This is her resting and recovering.

Here she is perking up a bit.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Wow, poor baby! Glad she is eating well now! It's so scary until they start gaining some weight back. Did the vet say what the mass weighed?

KenziesCavies

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

It weighed 44 grams. Yes, it was a frightening thing and I couldn't help thinking how grateful I was that it was us who got her from another family on Craigslist. Someone else might not have been willing to get her the surgery she needed.

zazzified

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Very true! And that's a lot of weight to haul around! Jeez. Pigs are delicate creatures but they can be so tough sometimes.

egustavson

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Yikes! I am so glad Sprinkle is doing so well.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Feel better Sprinkle! She's so cute.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Wow, poor girl! I hope she recovers fine.

Let me know if you'd like me to add the medical pic to your thread. It might be helpful to others in the future.