Can piggies catch human cold/flu virus?

roguebantha

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 am

The other day I was playing with my piggy Boris on the floor, and I allowed him quite close to my face. The next day I realised I was coming down with a cold and am now really worried he will catch it!

Thanks,
Sharon

Shania_3

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 am

I do not think they can catch human cold/flu viruses, it would have to mutate to do so. Am i wrong? I am not 100% sure, obviously..

Jenone

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 am

I remember reading that piggies are not prone to viral infections but can get bacterial infections. So human colds are not something to worry about! I'd appreciate confirmation on this, though.

I have a quote from a book I have (Guinea Piglopaedia)- "There are only a few diseases that can be transmitted from Guinea Pigs to humans. The most serious are salmonella and yersinia bacteria, which cause scours and intestinal infections...Ringworm causes skin disease in many mammals..."

And that's all it says about the issue! It doesn't even mention guinea pigs catching illnesses from humans. From a little research it seems that other sources are in agreement and state that transmission of infection between human and guinea pig is extremely rare.

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35 am

Kind of long and gross, but to the point -

I am not a doctor, but I have studied virology and epidemiology for my work.

There are reasons why guinea pigs are used in medical research, and one of them is that they have very similar immune systems. Guinea pigs will not catch a cold virus from people. However, they are quite succeptable to bacterial infections that come along with your cold.

A cold virus weakens your resistance to other bacteria so they will often accompany a cold. Mucus color is a good indication of whether you have more than just a viral cold.

Mucus colors and meanings -

Clear or light yellow - probably viral only.

Dark yellow - likely bacterial, like sinus infection or pneumonia

Green - Bacterial infection

Gray - you are a smoker

Brown - you either smoke or same as Dark Yellow

Bloody - you have big problems go to the emergency room.

Anything other than clear or light yellow means your pigs could be in great danger from your sickness.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks for the good information. I've been coughing up medium yellow mucus for weeks in spite of 4 rounds of zythromax - probably a sinus infection. But I never thought about staying away from the pigs like I would if I felt sick.

So flu isn't a contagion problem for pigs?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Here's my thought on the matter. MANY of us on this board are sole caretakers of our guinea pigs and have no choice but to continue caring for our pets while ill. While it may be possible for some bugs to cross over, I have never read a single story on this board of a guinea pig getting sick from his owner. Maybe it's happened, but we have a large and observant cross section and haven't seen it so it's unlikely.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 pm

That is a point, rshevin. When the girls were younger & we had our first pigs I was the sole caretaker. And the girls were going to that germ factory called elementary school so we were sick *a lot*. Those two pigs were never sick (except for bladder issues with one of them) and both lived past 6 years.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Also, I would add:

If your pigs have ANY color of mucus you need to get them to the vet ASAP.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Guinea pigs are used to study human flu. The virus would not survive in a cat or dog but could survive in guinea pigs and ferrets. I know ferrets can catch colds and flus and will show symptoms. I do not know if guinea pigs are asymptomatic or not but they can spread the flu virus.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Humans can and should take reasonable precautions like thorough handwashing before handling/giving food.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Of course. If you're sick, wash your hands, don't kiss all over your pigs, and act like you have a brain. To do otherwise is irresponsible. Beyond that, I have an increadibly hard time believing that guinea pigs catch and carry human zoonotic diseases. Just because they can be induced to exhibit flu viruses (which may very well by modified viruses) in laboratory doesn't mean they can catch them in the home environment.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 pm

In the lab, the flu virus is directly shot up their nostrils. But, there was one study I read where they housed other guinea pigs nearby that were not "shot up" with the flu and it was still transmitted through the air.

There are a couple of rodent-human illnesses that can be transmitted back and forth but I believe in those situations usually it's the human you have to worry about!

Either way, roguebantha (nice user name by the way!) I would not be too worried about him getting your cold.

Do you have a scale to weigh him on regularly? If you get a kitchen scale and weigh him once a week you will be able to notice abrupt weight loss and catch any illness before it gets too bad. Great for peace of mind and monitoring health.