Misadventures of Max (and others)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:30 am

Yes. He's always been a little slacking on his grooming.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 pm

Gopher still lies about wanting to eat Red. Red still says he will eat Gopher. Gus just wants to eat.
If this ain't a dysfunctional family, I no know what is! :p

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:22 pm

As Neil Gaiman put it, that's just a family.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:06 am

And then there were two....

I let Neal McNeal of the Clan McNeal go on Saturday, October 17, 2009, just after his 6th birthday. He had not been doing well and although he seemed to rally a little, I did not think his quality of life was very good.

I had brought Manfred (Red) to the vet that day, too, because he was circling and not walking right. We thought it was a bacterial ear infection.

Sunday morning, Red was unable to stand at all, and had trouble swallowing his Critical Care. He also seemed to be having seizures. I held him and fed him for several hours that morning, and then Mr. RS fed him twice before I came home that night. Sometime between the 6:30 PM feeding and when I checked on him at 9 when I got home he passed away.

Neal and Red were buried together.

I'm just kind of numb.

I still have two of the "Red Brothers" (Red, Light Red, and Agouti Red - aka Red, Gus and Gopher).

If Gus and Gopher remain well, I'm going to try a reintroduction. Gus is laid back and will probably let Gopher run the pen, which is Gopher's big desire.

They are the last of their immediate family.

I hope they stay well for a long time.

It's been a rough weekend.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Good bye precious piggies. So sorry for your loss.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am

I'm sorry.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:46 am

Two Gs

Last night I put Gus and Gopher in the same pen. I was worried about Gus because he seemed a little listless, but I think it was just being alone in the pet taxi. He went from being in a trio to being alone in a weekend. He perked up immediately when I put him with his brother.

Gopher rumbled and chased Gus. Gus went for the food, water and Gopher's pigloo.

This morning, they were each in pigloos. Gus had Gopher's and Gopher had the one I'd moved (and cleaned) from the other pen.

It was good to see them together again. It was good to be greeted and not need to fish anybody out, prop anybody up or handfeed anybody.

In some ways, the introduction reminded me of Steve and Jules. Jules just wanted food and sleep and while Steve wanted to assert himself, it wasn't much of an event.

Live long and prosper, guys.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 am

Glad to hear it went well.

They need each other.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 am

Sounds as if it's working out. I hope they spend a good long time together.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:33 am

I think so, too.

So far so good. They both have the same sort of floppy ears their "cousin" (similar age, maybe a bit older) has so maybe they've escaped some of the bad genetics.

I do think it's funny that Gus stole Gopher's pigloo and Gopher got stuck with Gus' old pigloo. If Gopher tries to follow Gus into the pigloo, he's met with a smack on the nose. He's "in charge" but only because Gus lets him think he is/doesn't care. Food is a higher priority than fighting for Gus. Gopher is not a bad pig, really. Just misunderstood.

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:13 am

They crack me up. I look at the pics of them in the cuddle cup when I need a reason to smile. That and the anti-floor time. Jules on the cat perch is funny, too.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 am

Gus talks to himself when he eats. Munchmunchburbleburblemunchburbleburble

He's also wheeking again. He was very quiet for a few days. I'm glad to hear he found his voice.

Gopher seems happy with a pal. No more bar chewing. I always felt a little bad about making him be a neighbor but given the dynamics....

Yeah, the antifloor time. Neal never did like floor time. And Jules....one of a kind pig.

Junior has become very jealous. She keeps trying to sit on the pigs when I have them in my lap. Kind of reminds me of Bad Cat. She'll pet them nicely and then be like, "Okay, you go now. This is my lap."