barbells

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:42 am

Good grief.

Paisley

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:50 am

ARGGGHHHH! That is terrible! What the heck was that vet thinking! Does he have any common sense??????? Most vets would have sent those lumps out for a culture to get a definitive diagnosis! I hope you give him a good piece of you mind, whether in person, on the phone or in writing!

Hang in there, Charybdis! It's not your fault that the vet made this major and stupid error!

<still shaking my head in disbelief over the stupidity of the vet>

Paisley

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:15 am

Charybdis,
I know this is none of my business, but maybe it is time to find another vet. There must be some generous vets out there who would be willing to donate some of their time to help the rescue and who would also be willing to sell meds at cost, perform medical procedures at a very reduced rate, etc. ! (I understand that they have expenses, too, but money isn't everything!)

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:28 am

Did the vet make some kind of determination based on "looking at them"? I mean why would he have even bothered to do that? But anyway, you are the customer and he should have done what you told him to do!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:29 am

Oh man. I can't believe this. The nightmare continues. Chary, I'm so very sorry! Why would he ever think you wanted to euthanize a pig that was doing fine? Lumps, yes, but still eating and things.

What an extreme screw-up. Drinking helps, for a time.

Pigglies

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:17 pm

Probably best to also write a letter, especially on the point of getting money back for anything. Because most vets save all the letters they get for quite some time, and then he'd remember and hopefully not make the same stupid mistake twice.

charandmin

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:23 pm

He basically charged us next to nothing considering he did a surgery, a cytology, and a euthanasia. I think trying to get money back is not the way to go. I do think that going to another vet for less than routine things like this (i.e. Dr. Kanfer) might be a good idea although it would cost more.

Pigglies

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:28 pm

Did he at least do the cytology though? Even if he didn't send the lumps out for a culture at the lab... he at least did the cytology right?

InkysMom

Post   » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:04 pm

Chary, I can't believe it. I have been checking the thread constantly waiting to hear what was in Rowan's lumps, and now this. I can imagine the sickening, furious, hysterical feelings you must have experienced when you talked to the vet. It's so very frustrating when we can't fix what's done!!!

Despite this setback, (and despite not knowing/having never met you) I have confidence in your ability to help your animals. Have a good cry session with a healthy pig, and then figure out your next move. You are smart and dedicated and we're all pulling for you and your pigs.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:10 pm

Some more thoughts from Dr. K:

On Antibiotics: She believes that Chloramphenicol would be more effective against Strep zoo. than Baytril. She recommended giving it by injection since, in her experience with rabbits, the animals tend to go off their feed on this AB.

On Airborne Particles: She said that she had not seen any information that aspirating the lumps caused the organism to become airborne, that it would be airborne through the respiratory tract and not necessarily from the abscess site. She's checking through Paisley's information now to see if there is enough evidence to support/refute this.

On Carrier Status: Apparently, one can do a blood titre (sp?) which would determine exposure to a certain organism. I believe she said that this is the method used to determine pasteurella in rabbits. It would involve more than one test and we would have to search around (perhaps a research facility?) for a lab that could perform such a test on Sebastian.

Her other thought was to put Sebastian (whose lumps have healed) in isolation with another pig and see if the other pig develops CL. Her reasoning was that, since it was cured with Sebastian, that it is not as deadly as we think, and that if the other pig developed it, then we would know 1) that Sebastian was a carrier and 2) That Sebastian wouldn't have to live the rest of his life alone in my bathroom because he would have a buddy.

An inquiry on VIN went nowhere.

My vet (Dr. R) is at an exotics conference this weekend and is going to try to dig up some information.

So far, Phyllis is doing fine and I have not noticed any lumps on any other pigs. Her culture isn't back yet.

We just have to find out if Sebastian, the other dumpster pigs, and Itchy and Scratchy are potential carriers of an airborne disease, potential carriers of a non-airborne disease, or free and in the clear.

Phylfish

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:19 pm

Wow (just reading the thread) this is a horror story! And its odd to read my name for a guiena pig too...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:22 pm

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have a direction to move it and a plan. I've always felt that helps when one is trying to get things manageable and under control.

p.s. you have a watch on a thread that is getting kicked off your yahoo account and labeled as spam (and sent back to me).

Subject: Topic Reply Notification - Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer