Relocating with My Piggies

lissie

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 am

Check out this link. http://www.tripswithpets.com/petpolicies.asp
There might be something that work for you.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:14 am

There's no chance at all of driving? You don't have enough stuff to justify a Uhaul where they could ride up front with you?

kyleila

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

I've considered driving but renting a Uhaul cross country is a bit pricey, in addition to motel fees along the way.

Hmmmmm... this is kinda tough :(

Feylin

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, if you search carefully, you can find a rental car for a reasonable amount of money.

Think about what you'd pay to fly pets with you- it's going to be VERY pricey to have a pet travel company find them a flight, and then pay the fees.

It might be less stress and less worry to rent a car and drive. You can do it in 3 or 4 days.

kyleila

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I've never driven cross country before. Will it be snowy if I am making the trek from NY to CA? I'm concerned about driving in the winter... not very confident about my driving skills.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I drove from AZ to VA in December of last year, and we just hugged the southern US and it worked out great. Went through the southern states and then turned north on the 95 to get to VA.

Kitsufox

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 pm

I live in Northern WI and we haven't had any snow that's stuck at all so far. If you stay middling/to southern USA you should be golden.

And, to give advice in case you choose to drive and run into snow: Slow and steady. Just stay calm, and ignore the morons buzzing along at mach 3. Keep all your turns smooth and don't rush things. Snow is far less dangerous when you drive in a way that makes you comfortable.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 pm

You can get chains pretty cheap, too. I got a set of chains just in case we hit snow and needed them to get somewhere to stop for the day.

kyleila

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:42 pm

I just booked flights for them on Pets Airway. I'll let you guys know how it is after the move :)

LynnK

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Kitsufox, that is so true, to many morons, in there SUV's that never give it another thought, until they spin out, and go in the ditch!

Kyleila, Kitsufox is right, just take it slow and steady, and you will be fine, there is nothing to be afraid of, just keep your eye's on the road, and stay nice and calm, and you will get through any snowy roads like a pro!

kyleila

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:41 pm

I am nervous about sending my piggies off on Pet Airways :( Last time they flew in cabin with me on Delta and were fine, but this time I won't be there with them...

Has anyone had experience with Pet Airways? or any advice about guinea pigs on a plane that I can pass onto the attendants for the airline?

Thanks!

zazzified

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

I don't have experience with them, but I noticed on the website that it only allows you to select a cat or a dog for animal type. Did you have to call to get your guinea pigs approved?