Show your cage III

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Gorgeous cages, guys!

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:52 am

WE FOUND COROPLAST!! After months of hunting and hunting, I finally found a place that would sell me some coroplast in sheets. I made the new cage last night, but I've got a few glitches that I need some help on.

1. The boys' cage was originally 3' by 6'. I'm rather short, so I would literally step INTO the cage in order to clean it, vacuum, and change the bedding. (They are on the ground until I can find a suitable surface to put them on that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg).

After I brought home the coroplast (called "featherboard" or "sunboard" in India), I realized that there was no way the stuff would be able to support my weight when I walked into the cage. So, I reduced the cage to 2' by 6'. Now, though, after adding in their hideys, toys, and litter box area, their whole living area looks so incredibly small, when compared to what the previous area was! They have about 2' by 3' of plain running area. Is this enough?

2. I had screens put in on the balcony, where I was planning on growing some plants. The balcony is quite large, but it does allow for air and sunlight. It's an excellent area for floor time, though (3' by 11'). If the weather permits, can I let them run around here? If there is some dust, will this harm them?

On the other hand, they seem to be enjoying the new cage. There is butt-spreading, peeing, and pooping galore! Pictures soon!

ETA: UMMM. Just as I finished writing this, The Brain started eating the coroplast. Oh no!!!! What do I do now?

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am

I have a question about cage size for more than a herd of four. What if you have 5 or 7 or 8? How does the size need go then? I may wind up with a large herd in my biggest cage if my current attampts at lab piggie rescue introductions work and if Milkyway also comes to join all the girls. So I need to know.

lissie

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:23 am

Pimpinpuji, I'm sure coroplast can support your weight. I used to step in mine all the time when my cage was on the floor. To prevent your pigs from chewing, you can use report spine to cover the edges, like these:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/sh ... photo=6969
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/sh ... photo=9592

TexCavy, for a herd of sows, you start with 2x3 for 2 as the minimum. For boars, you start with 2x4 as the minimum for 2. Then keep adding 1x2 for each pig you add. So it will be like the table below. Bigger is always better. I've also heard that 3x width works better for large herd.

Sows
2 2x3
3 2x4
4 2x5
5 2x6 or 3x4
6 2x7
7 2x8
8 2x9 or 3x6
9 2x10
10 2x11
11 2x12 or 3x8
12 2x13
13 2x14
14 2x15 or 3x10
15 2x16

Boars
2 2x4
3 2x5
4 2x6 or 3x4
5 2x7
6 2x8
7 2x9 or 3x6
8 2x10
9 2x11
10 2x12 or 3x8
11 2x13
12 2x14
13 2x15 or 3x10
14 2x16

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:39 am

Bummer. I might be one square grid short on space for 7 if my calculations are right. But they are probably wrong. I wrote my math problem on the random thread in General Chat. So when someone does that math for me in inches the problem may come out differently. It's actually wider and longer a tiny bit than a 2 1/2 grid by 5 grid.

I know upper levels aren't supposed to count, but I have SO much space in upper levels and my pigs love the upper decks so much, it feels like it ought to count for something.

lissie

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:43 am

How big is your cage?

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:46 am

76 " x 40 " I think. Can't double check while MrTex is asleep in there.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:00 am

78 x 40 actually. The measure from inside to inside on the frame of the bed the cage sits on is 76. But the coroplast goes at least an inch beyond that on each side. I did my own math. Somebody do a cheer for me, bcause I erfing hate math more than you can imagine and usually refuse to do any that isn't super duper simple for me.

My calculator says I have 21.666667 square feet on the ground foor of the cage. That ought to be almost on the verge of meeting requirements. Maybe exact even Since I got 21.041667 When trying to figure out by cavy cages site how much square footage is in a 2 x 10 grid using two 2 x 5 grids and adding an inch for a connector in between. That's 30" x 101" divided by 144.

My cage is 3120" sq
The requirements I did and might have got right for a group of 7 is 3030
So I have 90 inches more than I need. Just enough to cover the space taken up by ground floor hay racks and where the ramp meets the floor.

I have barely enough. Yikes. More is better, I know. So --- Why can't upper decks count for the more is better part. ;)
Heck, Tika practically lives upstairs anyway. She likes to be alone on the 3rd level.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am

Apologize for posting three times in a row, but I must correct a mistake and its too late to edit. I meant to say :

When trying to figure out by cavy cages site how much square footage is in a 2 x 8 grid using two 2 x 4 grids and adding an inch for a connector in between.

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 pm

These cages all look fantastic! I love all the levels and treat-contraptions and how comfy they all look!

I am still using all bedding in my cage- how come you guys use fleece? And doesn't that make it terrible to clean up? How often do you clean the cage, or wash the fleece, and how do you do it? How did you decide to go with fleece? Do pigs prefer that?

Tell me everything, I'm enthralled!!!!

lissie

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Shania_3

Post   » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 am

Could someone do the math for me (im too tired right now)?

How many square centimeters do 2 pigs need? 3? 4? 5?