Show your cage III

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Feylin, I can do both (cover with cardboard or cover the edges in fleece)! Thank you for a simpler solution!

I'm changing the cage this weekend, and will try the fleece first. If it is unsuccessful, we go with the cardboard!

Also, I have recently started double-fleecing their cage, but I somehow think it makes them stinkier. Does that make sense at all? Unless, they are stinky for some other reason (lying in poop doesn't help, I'm sure).

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks Shania, Pikatot and lissie! :D
Yeah I thought I needed it to be foldable so I can just shove it into my suit case whenever it's holidays time and I had to go with my family on another city which is 4hrs away thru ship :)
I can't leave my babies so they will go with me wherever my foot takes me :P

And ohh, nice cage Kitsufox! (edited bec I said Pimpinpuji :P) Can't wait to see your piggies running all over it :P

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Excellent cages guys!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:08 pm

kitsufox, I want to say that some of the members here have had some issues with the kind of hay rack you have. I was trying to find a thread for you, but I haven't found it yet.

LynnK

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 pm

Kitsufox, the cage looks good except for the hay rack, those type of racks are not a good idea.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ht=hayrack

Here are some good alternatives.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ht=hayrack

cabaya

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I hate saying critical things about peoples' cages but if it is concerning the pigs safety...

CavyPrincess - Your cage is really cool, I especially love what you are using as the "grids" around your cage. I just have to add that those alphabet foam blocks would be really dangerous to the pigs if they were to chew it.

kitsufox - I love seeing such clean new cages! You should find a new hayrack though because the one you show in the picture has proven to be very dangerous:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... s+hay+rack

(some people beat me to it while I was writing!)

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Here is the direct link to the hay hammocks that I use http://www.windespirit.com/hay_hammocks.htm I will never use anything else again. These work out perfectly!

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:33 am

Thanks Cabaya for that tip! ;)
Actually, one of my girls loves to chew on it and I keep catching her..
I was so scared that I saw a little nibble on it so right then when I saw it, I had to put it away..which gave them just more room to run and play :)

Kitsufox

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 am

The story alone is enough to scare me away from them. Merlin's a big guy, but Padraic's adult size is still an unknown, so we'll find an alternative before they show up.

I'll have to shop around and worst case scenario I can just wing the hay in the cage.

Do you think the hayrack we have (We've had it for awhile. It used to belong to our rabbit) would be safe if we pulled the jointed side part off? My husband is pretty sure he can get those off complete and smooth the rivet thingy with his dremel. Then we would just use rope or string to hold the front up in a "Hayrack" sort of position.

cabaya

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:25 pm

I still don't think that hay rack would be safe even if you cut the side out. If one of the pigs hops in the rack they could get their foot caught and panic jerking around trying to get their leg out, but that just makes it worse.

The hay hammock by Windespirit (like momof3boys suggested) is a wonderful thing! I have two and they really reduce wasting hay and the pigs seem to enjoy sticking their heads in it.

zazzified

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:38 pm

I made this hay rack and it's the best compromise my pigs and I have come to yet:

As you can see, it has a lid with an overhang so that they both can't jump into the hay and can't jump on the lid.

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm

That is pretty nifty!