Hay Holders Unsafe and Alternatives

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 pm

I agree.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 pm

I can't do it tonight. Maybe early next week you can remind me.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:40 am

Char03 - I'm sorry about that piggie but am glad to hear he's doing ok. I'm curious to see what this other version of hay rack looks like. Could you provide a link or picture for us?

Pimpin - the fleece cutting could work, but since fleece doesn't move as freely, it won't work as well. I certainly would not condone it in the aspects of any pigs getting on it though, fleece could wrap around a leg since it stretches, that is a hazard to avoid. Perhaps cutting only one hole would be wiser if you choose to try. Plus hay sticks to fleece more, the pigs might play 'tug of war' at times ;)

Yes, the Hay Hammocks have helped reduce waste as well as the Softy Hay Racks. You can read some of the comments of others in my sellers thread.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:57 am

I took this picture because you can see how the hammock "moves" with the body of the piggie :) On the left side, Lucy stuck her head in and the stripes of the hammock just slid easily, allowing her to get to the hay that she wanted:

Kit Kat is supervising, evidently :)

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am

That's a good shot.

Charzard03

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:18 am

"Char03 - I'm sorry about that piggie but am glad to hear he's doing ok. I'm curious to see what this other version of hay rack looks like. Could you provide a link or picture for us?"

Next time is see Piglet is tommorow, fingers crossed his leg has gotten better.
I have googled tons looking for it but I cant find it on the web, to be honest im not to sure what company it was making them (I wish I had kept the packaging now) all I know is that it wasnt super pet. I have taken pictures of my hutch because people were interested to see it and I have one in my kitchen area so when I get the camera developed I will put it up. I think the only downside to the safety one is because the bars are all around and closer its harder to get hay out, but my pigs seem to be fine with it.
Hopefully I will get the camera developed sometime during next week, possibly wednesday.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:27 am

Windespirit, you make a few good points there. Agh! If only I had a sewing machine, and didn't live in India! Perhaps even some old t-shirts? I'll think of ideas, and report back. Thanks!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am

T-shirts might work Pimpin, try tying the sleeves together maybe and that might help restrict the hay from free falling out of the neck but piggies can still get to if low enough. Sort of like a silo.

Just did a quick look at postage, the single size hay hammocks can fit in a flat rate international so postage for those anywhere in the world would be $13.00. It's 6-10 day delivery.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Not bad, for the international price! I can always order it in advance when I'm home for a visit, too.

I'll give the t-shirt a try. Will keep everyone updated. My main idea is to minimize wastage.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Correction on shipping, looking at the small flat rate boxes those are the same price as envelopes and allowed (yeah!). I wasn't sure at first since some pages are still not updated with the small flat rate sizes.

2 full size hay hammocks or 4 single size can fit into the small flat rate boxes at the same flat rate envelope price.

Good thinking Pimpin, I do have up to 4 months advance ordering option to ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:48 pm

Here's the link for calculating postage.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I still like to put hay in the cage for them to play in. They do enjoy it. I know it gets wasted, but that is the fun of it! :) I always put hay in my boys' hay rack and a pile in the cage.