Eggplant?

Beans_sarabeara

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Is it ok for my pigs to eat eggplant? I have some that wouldn't fit on the pan and I figured if they could it might be a good treat.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:36 pm

My pigs love eggplant! They get the ends of any eggplant (but I cut off the stem - because I'm not sure if that and the leafy bit on top is good for them).

Beans_sarabeara

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:13 am

I stopped giving eggplant years ago when I read that it caused heart issues in hammies.

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:19 am

I din't think it had much actual nutrition. But what do I know when I'm finally too tired to google. :)

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:23 am

Really?? I didn't know they could eat it, somehow I thought it would be bad for them..

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 am

I had a vague memory that uncooked eggplant contains toxins? Isn't it in the nightshade family? I can never remember.

Kitsufox

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 am

Just because it belongs to the nightshade family doesn't make it toxic. Tomatoes belong to that family, also. But yes, eggplants are a part of the Nightshade family, along with potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

As to the safety of the Eggplant... I have no idea...

rshevin

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Tomato plants ARE toxic! The fruit is ok of course, but the green parts are definitely not to be eaten. Raw potatoes will make you sick and you're not supposed to ever eat the green eyes too.

Kitsufox

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I eat raw potatoes pretty regularly... Downright like them, in fact... Never gotten sick off them. The meat of the potato itself is not toxic, while the greens to contain toxins, yes.

I wasn't aware that tomato greens were toxic. I know my family has fed them to livestock for many a year without consequence. Though it might just be because they never get a ton, and then only once a year when the tomato plants in the garden give out.

I've been prodding the Internets looking for eggplant information. From what I can tell the plant is the more toxic part of the eggplant... Though some disagree and blame the skin. Sometimes it's hard to sort out hearsay from truth...

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Now that I think of it, Rshevin, I think you're the one who mentioned that the eggplant was not a good idea!

I haven't contemplated giving it since.. :)

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:18 pm

I Googled eggplant and hamsters, and got hits on the heart issues, but when I google eggplant and cavies, I get nothing. Perhaps its just a hammy thing?