Help with Lid on C & C

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:58 pm

That picture that RShevin showed is a good idea. Though if the dog is really smart, he can keep on jumping and headbutting the grid till it flips open. How about zip tie the sides loosely but keep the middle section untied, so that will work like the main opening. You just lift it towards you and the other piece to the wall :) If you know what I'm saying :) That way the dogs cant ever get it open unless they jump too high to get to the top of the cage :P

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Brenda, Krylon makes spray paint for plastic that works great. Should work well on the shelves to make it match your cage.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:06 pm

I don't know if I'd use spray paint where pigs can use it.

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:09 pm

He got black shelving anyway. Wish us luck.

The dog is doing great otherwise, with our dogs and our kids and peeing outside! Just thinks the pigs are snacks.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Oh I didn't even see the black part. Yup, they have black stuff but it's in the garage shelf section. Go husband for finding it!

Cavy princess, once a zip tie is done up, it can't be un-done without cutting so the section that lifts up needs a different kind of closure (like a carabeener).

Hunybee

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Brenda
You might also want to create a "No dog zone" around the cage. I had a big square cage on the floor. Both of my dogs would sit right at the cage and lick their chops. One of them even got a hold of Nikka's fur through the cage!

We had a small wire rodent "play yard" that we unfolded around the cage. There was about a foot of space between the fence and the cage to keep the dogs out. I'm sure Nikka and Jasper felt like prey in their cage until we put that up. Now they are up off the floor and the dogs can't even watch them.

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:21 pm

We are gonna get them off the floor next project with the grids from the loft plus the xtras in the garage. But, I don't dare ask the DH tonight...he got the wrong width shelving and had to go back...

Poor pigs, the loft was their christmas gift last year. :(

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Brenda, have you ever thought about making a smaller half-height loft? It can be harder to clean around, but I had one in my covered cage.

Kind of like this:

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Can you come and visit and make it for me. :) Please! We suck at c & c cages here...

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 pm

B, that's what I had with my original cage. I'm surprised you didn't ask. I have an extra white pantry shelving thingy all you need to do is cut it. I put the two pieces together, and zip tied them together, loosely, and then lip tied the back of the back half of the lid so it wouldn't move. The lip side of the shelving I faced down.

:o) I'm sure you will figure it out.

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:14 pm

ok, bad quality pic but here ya go:

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Now, she wants to eat the hamsters...