Pig In Distress -- Mites -- HELP, Please...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:31 pm

I found something on the hot spots dogs experience.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/we ... 71300a.htm
Guinea pigs don't get hot spots like dogs do (biting, licking, worrying). They may bite the area if they have mites but there really is no "licking" and worrying that goes on.

The hot spots dogs get described on this site can be caused by a variety of things. If it is mites (I'll pick that because it's the primary cause of a self inflicted injury in a guinea pig), they must be treated. This site recommends treating dog hot spots by:
  • Shaving the area. The first treatment for hot spots is to dry them out and get air to the area. Hair loss is a feature of hot spots, but hair can also mat over the inflamed area, covering up a potentially much more severe and large problem.
  • Cleansing it with cool water and a gentle skin cleanser.
  • Using a cool compress 2-4 times a day with a cool wet washcloth.
  • Medications - Depending on the severity and size of the hot spot, your veterinarian may prescribe oral antibiotics, topical drying sprays or medications, and/or special shampoos.
  • Prevent the animal from licking, biting, scratching by using an Elizabethan collar
  • Additional home remedies they recommend until you can see your vet:
    • Tea bag compresses (black or green tea) to aid in drying the area. Tea can be used as a wash or as a compress.
    • They also recommend Domeboro's (Burow's) solution (aluminum acetate) -- used as a compress or as a spray. This is supposedly available over-the-counter at pharmacies and is used to help dry the skin out [this product is also used for an animal experiencing urinary incontinence].
    • Hydrocortisone creams - Some people advocate using a thin film of an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream. I would recommend talking to your vet first -- in general, creams and ointments only serve to "gunk up" the area and prevent proper drying if used incorrectly. Also, if the pet licks it, you want to make sure that it isn't toxic.
So basically, they wouldn't recommend Bag Balm either. Too gunky. See a vet, keep it dry, sooth it. Dump the Bag Balm.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:38 pm

Yup. Bag Balm on a hot spot is just asking it to get worse.

Without seeing it, I'd almost recommend antibiotics. Keep that area as clean and dry as possible.

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:52 pm

What about pure aloe vera gel? Is that safe to ingest? It's very soothing.

cavyravy

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:34 am

My pig has mites and Susie Q offered to treat him with ivermectin for me. I washed him yesterday, he does have sores, but he wasn't in pain, I am sure of that. I don't have much experience with guinea pif mites, but if the pig is in that much pain, and the ivermectin isn't working, perhaps that is not the problem. You need a better vet.

cavyravy

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:36 am

One more thing, my dog had a skin infection, we weren't sure what it was, but baby oil rubbed on her skin worked very well. I don't know if it is dangerous for pigs, so don't use it until you ask your vet, just a suggestion.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:31 pm

cavyravy, this is a very old post, not a current one. Here for reference instead of for offering advice.

Baby oil would not help.

cavyravy

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:52 pm

Okay, thanks, new to the forums so I wasn't sure. :o)