New pig has one squinty eye-- what is this?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Do you have a kitchen scale to weigh her ? https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Can you post a photo of her? Roan is different than just white hairs. It is intertwined colors.

eta: https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... nnsylvania
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/se-penns ... tlist.html
http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets_pennsylvania.html

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

You got her from a rescue yesterday, and she's this pregnant? This rescue sounds pretty shady.

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Sus, I'll take a picture of her later today... I'm not sure how to post a photo- does it have to be uploaded to another site first before I can post it here?

I don't have a scale- it's something we were looking into getting from amazon, but it looks like I'll have to speed up that process pretty quickly. Any suggestions on where to get a good kitchen scale?

I checked the PA vet lists on those sites yesterday- nothing within 2 hours of me. I was just asking if anyone personally knew... because otherwise I'm at a loss.

Pooksied- This is the animal rescue... (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA694.html). I posted on GL forums a few weeks ago that I wanted to adopt from a rescue and someone suggested Petfinder, which I used. They seemed very professional- scheduling an initial visit so they could meet me, and inquiring pretty heavily about my current pigs and situation. When I met Adia, the only thing I really noticed was her squinty eye- but like I said, I wanted to rescue a pig, not be picky, so I figured I would just take her into the vet to see what was wrong. I didn't realize it was more than that, and she is VERY tiny. When I returned to pick her up, she seemed normal.

The rescue claims she was 4 weeks old on October 24th when she was given to them, which means she would only be 9 weeks old now. We've calculated figures and even if the initial owners were wrong about the age, it seems likely she was kept in the same cage as her brother until at least 4 weeks of age. Which means she could be 5 or 6 weeks pregnant... which is EARLY to feel the kicking, I understand. So I'm a little confused about the timeline.

Let me go get a photo.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:15 pm

You should be able to find a kitchen scale at stores like target or walmart in the kitchen section.

Yes, you need to upload the photo to a photo hosting site like tinypic.com or photobucket.com then post the link or use the img tags

eta: they have photos of their rabbits on cedar bedding and
colored bit feed in the guinea pig food bowls

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:48 pm

She is currently in my quarantine cage. Yes, I know the rescue agency was using aspen and fiesta mix- that's not something I do. I am in the process of upgrading my regular pen (where my other two pigs are) into a fleece-heaven. So this cage is the quarantine cage, though rather small, where Adia has been for the last 25 hours.

I tried to take a picture with my hand so you can see how tiny she still is... and when she stretches out, you can see the lumps in her. Note: Depending on how she is sitting, the lumps are on different sides. I think the fetuses just kinda move around inside of her. There is also a picture of her squinty eye.

She is a gorgeous little girl - I just had no idea she might be pregnant.

Vet appt is for 4 PM tomorrow-- they want to do x-rays and a health check-up.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:03 pm

She is so very pretty!

You must have small hands. She looks nearly full-grown next to it, yet her feet make her look very young. Boy, that bulge is quite distinct.

I'm glad you have a vet appointment. I think it will help answer a lot of your questions.

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes, I'm a very tiny 23-year-old and she is a very tiny piglet.

I hope the vet has good news for me... Do you suppose the bulge could be something other than a pregnancy?

I'll update when I hear more from the vet. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, do you think she is a roan?

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm

If you can feel kicking and movement, I think the lumps are babies.
Sometimes, you can feel and hear them chewing. I heard chewing a few days before my adopted sow gave birth to one baby boar.

She is very cute! It looks like her eye is bothering her and may be uncomfortable to open. Could very well be an injury from a sharp piece of hay or something that was in her cage at the rescue.

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, some good and bad news from the rescue agency.

They were feeding her iceburg lettuce from a head and timothy hay as well as the Fiesta pellets (with the colored stuff in it) and Vitamin Yogurt Drops. She said her vet recommended they don't use vitamin drops in the water because they don't like the taste of it.

And here I am wondering why Adia won't drink her Vitamin C water- it's because she's never had it before!!

So that's the bad news... not a good diet for her early pregnancy. Not much vegetables or good lettuce, at least. That has already changed very quickly.

But the good news is, the agency was extremely apologetic- they didn't intend to give me a pregnant pig, and they offered to keep her during her pregnancy and pay the medical bills and then give her back after the births. I'm glad that they took responsibility for what happened and offered.

But I think I'd feel better keeping Adia and caring for her myself throughout the pregnancy. I don't have experience with this- but they don't seem to either. I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy. I'm so worried I'll lose her.

I suppose the best option is for me to give the babies to a rescue once they're born- but I don't suppose I should give them back to this rescue I got Adia from.

Any advice?

thatlorigirl

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Also-
Adia is not eating much of the vegetables I gave her tonight- kale and collard greens, a small carrot, tomato, bean, and squash. I've been giving her the good timothy pellets but she won't eat them either.
I'm really concerned about her lack of eating- she needs to get nutrition to those babies!
So I'm going to do one of two things:
1) Give her the Fiesta pellets for now, just so she can eat something (or would that be even worse than her not eating?) and
2) Introduce her to Nugget and Peanut Butter. Peanut Butter didn't want to eat while she was quarantined either, but when I put her in with Nugget- Nugget encouraged her to eat. I'm hoping they could do the same for Adia. Or would that be too much stress for her?

Please let me know your thoughts soon.. I'm thinking about doing it yet tonight!!!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 pm

She looks like a golden agouti and white, not roan.

Vitamins in the water are bad for them so they did get something right https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#water

Do you have oxbow or kleenmama? I wouldn't recommend feeding her junk. Will she eat hay and veggies?

thatlorigirl

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 am

Sus- Wow. I was totally wrong about that- I thought vitamins in the water was okay! Well, looks like I'm learning something new everyday. So what do you recommend for them to get Vitamin C-- just lots of treats? I thought those yogurt drops was also bad for them but perhaps I'm wrong about that as well...

I ordered from Kleenmama but it hasn't arrived yet. Until then, I'm using Kaytee's orchard grass (since Peanut Butter seems to get sniffly around timothy hay and Lynx said orchard grass is a good substitute...)

I'm relieved to hear she is not a roan... but her age is still so troubling when considering that she might have complications in birthing.