Look what I got!!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey AM, do you have anything on your ramp for traction? Some people use fleece (I used sherpa fleece with velcro when I used ramps) for the pigs to have more "gription".

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:12 pm

I've thought about fleece and velcro, so I'm glad to hear it works for someone else. Improving the down-usefulness of the ramp (they're fine for "up"!) is my next project.

Today's project was acquiring a dust-buster. Having just switched to fleece yesterday, I didn't really appreciate how fast it was going to get dirty, and it took me ten minutes to pick all the poops and hays off of it this morning. So out I went and bought one and came home and tried it out. I don't know... are they going to get used to this, or is it only done during floor time??

Anyway, turns out vacuums are BIG HORRIBLE SCARY THINGS. It's not a Buddy Bath, but it had almost the same effect...

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:19 pm

That picture is too funny!

You will get tired of the dust buster very quickly. It gets clogged really fast. I bought a small shop vac and I love it. It gets clogged sometimes, but I just take the hose off, switch the part that is snapped in and turn it back on and I am good to go. I had a dust buster first and hated it.

Maybe your pigs will get used to it? One of my pigs loves it and won't get out of the way when I am cleaning their cage. He popcorns and chases the darn hose.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:21 pm

codynpatches, what shop vac did you get? I ask just because you mentioned "small" and most are much larger than I'm willing to store. I gave up on the dust buster plan many moons ago.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 pm

They should get used to it. I think plenty of people use them. I prefer to use my hands. It'd probably be a lot faster with a scary vacuum but there is something weirdly calming about scooping the poos by hand.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:24 pm

It is only a 2 gallon/2 HP Shop Vac and I got it at Target a few months ago. I was going to get the next size up, but was afraid it would be too strong. It is pretty small...just the right size.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Ooh, I think I found the one you're talking about on their website. Thanks!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm

No prob!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm

Well, I'm pretty much out of discretionary income for the next while! So I'll make this Dirt Devil do for now. I also picked up a salad spinner, which: thank goodness!

So Snickers got held for the first part of our Sunday television marathon, and then New Guy (who will probably be named Charleston) got held for the second half. I was worried that there would be more bullying and humping when they were both back in the cage, but there really wasn't. And just a minute later, there was this -- only quiet peeping is going on here!

I've never introduced two pigs before, but from everything I've read here... I think I got very lucky!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I am so happy for you. I am glad everything is going so smoothly. Everyone looks very happy.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Oh cute. Scary things can bond them.

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:56 pm

I love that picture of them hudling in the hay bin.