Carrot tops/greens, watercress and parsley root?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 pm

I was at the store tonight trying to get my boys some new veggies. I have a couple of questions.

How often can guinea pigs eat carrot greens? How much?

I thought I read somewhere that any kind of root can be harmful. Like parsley root?

How often can they have watercress?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:53 pm

Modest amounts infrequently. They are quite high in calcium.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks Lynx

So parsley root they can have as well?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Lynx, is that the watercress? Usually when I buy a bunch of carrots with tops there aren't too many in the bunch. I can divide that pretty well between my 10 pigs but for 2 pigs I would imagine a couple of sprigs apiece every couple of days would be ok?

EllieMom

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 am

My pigs are afraid of watercress. When I tried to serve them some they acted like I was trying to poison them.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:42 am

I thought it was the cress that had the calcium?

We don't have problems with sludge here, so I do feed carrot tops and cress whenever I get them.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:54 am

They gobbled up the carrot tops! I cut the top chunk off of two carrots and left the greens and gave one to each pig. They inhaled them!

I decided to print out the veggie chart from guineapigcages and I am going to post it on my fridge. It took me a few minutes to find it. Of course carrot greens are not on there.

Still curious about any kind of roots?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 am

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The carrot tops are extremely high in calcium (someone had trouble finding the info but that's what we discovered).

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Lynx. I will use it sparingly.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Ah, good to know. I don't get them for my pigs very often and will keep it that way since I now know they are high in calcium. Thanks!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Rabbits love carrot tops. They get the bulk of it here but the pigs get it sparingly.

They are good for babies or pregnant sows though!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 am

Sus, what about any kinds of roots? Can guinea pigs have parsley root? I imagine it would be very high in calcium too.