Carrot tops/greens, watercress and parsley root?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't think I'd feed any type of root. But if someone else knows any different, please let us know! Always nice to have more options.

The Whole Foods near me had some lovely bunches of dandelion greens today!

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm

STF, I am jealous that you have a whole foods so close to you.

I feel stupid asking this, but here it goes. Dandelions are those things found in your yard right? What do people use them for? I thought they were just weeds, but I keep seeing here that people are purchasing them at stores?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Dandelion Greens :

I buy them at the farmer's market mostly. They are overprized at my Whole Foods - $4 for a tiny bunch.

Parsley roots are high in calcium. Don't know about feeding them. Google says they have positive effects on stomach and uterus ailments though.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for the visual sus. That is cool about parsley root though! I'll stick to the veggies that are known to be safe.

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 am

Carrots are a root! Radishes & turnips too. Unfortunately, it isn't as cut and dried as saying all roots are bad or all roots are good. THAT would make life too easy for us poor cavy slaves. lol

CnP the dandelions that you'd find in your yard aren't nearly that large. In lawns that are mown they tend to be smaller and grow very flat to the ground. Usually lower than the surrounding grass. If the sun will cooperate this morning I'll try to get you a photo of what the wild ones look like around here.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:44 am

I mean, I know what they are I think, but didn't realize humans ate them? We have tons in our front yard, but unfortunately the boys can't have them.

They are the greens that have the yellow flower? Or and I am completely off my rocker here?

tashab

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Dandelions were originally brought to North America by European immigrants as an easy to grow salad green.
I live in the "little italy" neighbourhood of my city (note: i am not Italian), and dandelion greens are always available at our grocery store because of all the little old Italian grannies :)
They're actually pretty tasty - they remind me of a cross between spinach and arugula.

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:03 am

Sorry, I took some photos yesterday with my phone but it's such a PITA to get them on the computer that I haven't tried yet. Yes, they have yellow flowers on them in the spring & summer months. If it's been a while since the DH put out fertilizer or sprayed the lawn then they should be fine. If it's rained on fertilizer at least once you're good. With pesticides or herbicides you're okay after a rain and two weeks. The only exception to that is if he's putting out some type of long lasting stuff for fleas or fire ants.

This applies to horses but since pigs are so small I'd likely wait a month instead of two weeks if he's used a pest or herbicide.