Request for ARTHRITIS treatment protocols

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:10 pm

Smudge -

1 - female, Himi, age unknown (rescue-nails would lead you to believe young)
2 - I thought that she may had a previously broken leg due to knots felt at her knee. She holds her right leg out and holds her pelvis funny. She uses her right leg to pivot around and walks on tip toes.
3 - Full body xray, and 3 different hip/knee shots. X-rays show arthritis in both knees, but severe in right knee and some arthritis in spine. Under anesthesia she relaxed her pelvis to be in normal position, but she's unable to relax/bend her knee due to the huge spur preventing it.
4 - Prescribed Metcam at .05 daily (will incr if necessary), and Glucosamine with Chondroitin + MSM 1 cc twice a day for 6 weeks and then may move to a lower maintenance dose. Will discuss possible laser treatments with vet to see if spur can be broken up to free movement of knee.
5 - Treatment just started.
6 - Smudge is a pretty happy and very vocal pig. She eats well but drinks excessively. She will drain a 16 oz bottle in 24 hours. Hyperthyroidism/diabetes was discussed and vet sent stuff to collect urine for analysis. I'm thinking hyperthoridism based on her behavior compared to another hyperthroid pig I have.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 pm

American Short Hair female born 6/15/02. On 8/29/07 diagnoised by x-rays with "some arthritis in the shoulders, hips and knees." No details beyond these.

Was prescribed Cosequin and Meloxicam (1.5mg/ml) for pain.

Meloxicam made no difference in her movement which is only slightly stiff with no apparent pain. Meloxicam discontinued. Is still on Cosequin. Will return in Nov '07 for new x-ray.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Jenna, American short hair, spayed female, about 6 1/2 years old.

X-rays taken as part of general exam to explain gradual weight loss, arthritis seen and some disc degeneration.

0.2 ml metacan 2x/day for 10 days, then 0.2 ml 1x/day every day since 1/29/09.

No change, she has lost more weight (testing for hyperthyroid, other blood work came back normal). Walks normally, doesn't show any signs of pain from arthritis. Likes to lay on warm Snuggle Safe.

Besides weight loss and previous ovarian cysts, generally healthy.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Shrimpie, aprox. 4 1/2 yo neutered boar developed a hop in his walk and his rear legs pointed out. Took him to the vet April 8, 2009 and X-rays showed really bad arthritis in his knees. Doctor Wilson prescribed 0.4 ml Metacam once daily (twice if he is having a bad day) and will compound glucosemine chondroitin for him this weekend.

Will update with exact dose of glucosamine as soon as available.

Marumoto

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Several cases:
1) septic arthritis: female Abyssinan born end 2005, miscarriage in August 2006, sepsis. Xray: bone lysis in hind leg joints. Cannot walk. Treated with systemic antibiotics, NSAID, glucosamine, massage. Alive, healthy and adapted to her disablility.
2) gout: male Abyssinian born June 2005, vasectomy. Chronic renal failure, repeated gout attacks. Miscellaneous treatments. Deceased in March 2008.
3) idiopathic (genetically conditioned?): family, mother and daughter, short-haired sows born in August 2006 and January 2007. Severe attacks in early 2008. Xray showed nothing. Swollen joints, echo showed accummulation of synovial fluid. Treated with glucosamine and herbal formulas (bamboo, chickweed, dandelion). Remission in falls 2008, symptom-free at present.
4) osteodystrophy in satins. Took care of several terminal cases. Post mortem CT scans, showing severe arthritis with cystic lesions in the joints. For images, see http://users.telenet.be/marumoto/ziek8b.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Those are interesting pics, Marumoto. I don't know if you're interested in translating some of your page to English, but it would be helpful to posters here.

Marumoto

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Sure, I'm working on it! Takes time, however...

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Update: Shrimpie is currently on 0.5 ml of glucosamine (50 mg/ml) and 0.3 ml of Metacam - both once daily.

I was told it takes a few good weeks for the Glucosamine to improve his condition but he is already walking a little better. Evidently, the higher dose of Metacam might be the culprit.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Editing above on Lady Bug. She didn't handle the Cosequin well so stopped it. She is on a daily dose of Metacam 7.5mg/5ml. She gets 0.2ml in the morning. She moves pretty well on this dose. Occasionally will need more.

gizzy

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Furby ; 8years + / boar / rex

No initial signs , arthritic rear leg joint showed up on an x-ray pre stone opp last year.

Sometimes he has a swollen joint in the morning and finds it difficult to walk till I massage .

I Give no drugs / he is neutered , so he spends approx 9 hours walking round my living room making a nuisance of him self with my free range sows

I find he responds better to exercise , and will only use metacam when absolutely necessary .

Just a foot note , since he has been having extended exercise time , his impaction of 3 years has completely cleared up

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 pm

That's great to hear, gizzy. I think activity helps many humans with their arthritis.

Melody R

Post   » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I took my 5-year old boar (Snickerdoodle) to the vet yesterday, totally expecting the worse.

On Wednesday, I had noticed a significant and rapid weight drop (though he is still over 1000 gms). He was also lethargic, walking funny in the hind end, peeing on himself etc. He would eat his salad (slowly) and hay but that was it, no pellets. He has always been laid back, but not THIS laid back! The change had come on seemingly overnight. No other symptoms to indicate URI. no crusties, no drooling, or anything else I could put my finger on. I notice him chewing alot on his Chube, which could indicate pain (or tooth issues).

I started feeding him CC, pedialyte, Vit C and probiotics since Wednesday when I first noticed this going on. I gave him apple pedialyte, filtered water, cranberry juice (unsweetened). From Wed to Sat he gained back 80 gms, so that was encouraging.

(FYI -- I do weigh him regularly, but this was rather rapid onset. But having his weight chart was really helpful!!!! Also, I could not get an appt at the vet for three days/Wed - Saturday due to the Christmas holidays, hence the food/liquid intervention, which I learned from HERE -- Thank you!!!!!)

She examined him thoroughly, took xrays, checked his heart, his teeth, and everything, and tested for kidney function.

He has Degenerative Joint Disease of both stifles -- in layman's terms, arthritis in both knees (hind legs). He was put on Tramadol and Meloxicam (for pain relief and anti-inflamatory) -- she said to think of him as a former football player - lol.

His heart, his teeth everything else was fine. She found one tiny stone in his urethra but it was too far up for her to get to, and is not causing any blockage at this time. The peeing on himself was because he didn't want to stand up because of his knees.

Almost by the time we drove home, he was immediately back to his old self! WOW - who would have thought!!~!!!

So - take your baby to the vet. I too was expecting euthansia, but instead I got my sweet boy back again! We go back in two weeks for a followup, but I am beside myself with joy!

Today, as I was delivering piggie salads, he was once again standing on his hind legs wheeking for his!!!!

Sometimes I think we think everything is fatal (well, me anyway). In this case, the vet hit the mark and we are doing just fine. Although there is no cure, and it may progress some, it appears he can still live out a normal life free of pain!