Request for ARTHRITIS treatment protocols

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm still reading up on this and learning. But this is as far as I've gotten.

1 - breed, age and sex of pig
S'more-Broken satin white aby, unknown (guessed at 4-5 years), male
2 - brief description of signs leading you to suspect arthritis
3 - diagnostics done and the results
Very lethargic upon arrival to rescue. Observed and thought heart pig. Took into vet for chest x-rays, found intense calcification of hind hips and knees.
4 - treatment, med and dosage
.2cc Torbugesic (10mg in VAL syrup) every other day with .08cc Meloxicam on other days. Both once a day
5 - results of treatment
Started only last week. Immediate results in greatly increased activity and awareness. He's actually a really loud guy. :)
6 - other med issues
None at this time.

pinta

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:09 am

found intense calcification of hind hips and knees.

Do you mean excess calcification? Did the vet check for decreasinhg bone density(tiny pinholes on the bones)?

Sometimes, in satins, the calcium leaches out of the bones and ends upredistriobuted resulting in oddly shaped bones..

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 am

Thank you for the verbiage correction. In the x-ray, the joints looked, shall I say, double thick. When analyzed, the rest of his skeleton "looked" fine. Hmm, I'll have to ask her on Wednesday about that. Thank you Pinta.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:43 pm

1 - Celia is 5.5 years, a female and I think an American, dilute cream.

2 - she seemed stiff when walking

3 - vet watched her walk and she was sometimes pushing off with both of her back legs at the same time, indicating muscle weakness

4 - .15cc metacam daily

5 - she's more physically active, less grumpy and more affectionate with her cagemate

6 - tendency to soft poops which we treat with small doses of propulsid and by being careful with what food we give her
- cystic ovaries which responded to shots last spring
- 4 cl abscesses drained last spring, from which she recovered

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

CavyCastle, there are some other bone disorders like Paget's disease where bone mass is redistributed (can be a thicker jaw).

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 am

How fascinatingly interesting!! Unfortunately, I didn't have S'more when he was younger, so I have no way of comparing if his bone tissue has been remodeling correctly over time or not.

So, at this point, I need to ask the vet if there is any "decalcification" noticeable anywhere. I've been searching for pictures of guinea arthritis on GL so that I can compare those with S'mores. Know of any off hand? Aside from this, I can't think of anything I can do/research/prepare for the little guy. The anti-inflammatory is obviously helping, so that's good.

Thank you for all of your help. Would you like me to update this after I speak with my vet?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:23 am

Yes, please :)

pinta

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am

Search out threads on satins and Elvis(Becky as author). Also there is a thread in reference (use Shiraz or paget's disease as search words) Lots of info to be had. Bones aren't supposed to remodel at all.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 am

Here is Pinta's thread for Shiraz, with x-rays:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8754

Becky's thread for Elvis:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22029

Here is Salana's thread for Jackie, and his arthritis x-rays:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 13#1406113

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 pm

1 - Snickers, medium-haired unneutered male. Approx. 4 years old at diagnosis, currently 7.
2 - Stiffness when walking, bites when you try to touch his front legs.
3 - Dr. Crum concluded that he had arthritis during a normal checkup due to symptoms.
4 - .15mL meloxicam/day, .6mL glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement/day.
5 - Moves more comfortably and with less of a stiff gait.
6 - Bladder stones at age 5; presumed to have been passed.

gizzy

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 am

Breed = rex
Sex = boar
Age = died at the age of 8 years and a few months

First Diagnosis , x-ray that showed a large bladder stone also showed a arthritic back leg joint . At the age of 6 years .
aprox 6 months later he developed a pronounced gait , further x-ray showed advance on previous x-ray,

Vet prescribed 3 drop 0.5 mg/kg metacam , though Vet warned due to his age it may damage his renal system .

So I only gave dose when pain was obviously present , which was seldom , as he ran free range with sows , and in his case , the exercise served better than medication . He was an extremely happy and contented pig .

I had Gizzy since early 2001 , I first weighed him in September 01 he died 4 weeks ago , he was laying on he back with his legs in the air and his incisors where fully visible .

I picked him up and to my surprise within 1 hour he was fine , and behaved as if nothing had happened , he remained fine, for 4 days still exercising with the sows , then started to shudder , and died within 1 hour.

Vet said the first seizure was a stroke , and it resulted in he death 4 days later

Flock of Piglets

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:19 pm

1 - Mashy, 15 month old neutered male sheltie.

2 - Initially masked to us and vets by a complex set of health issues (see link below). However, in hindsight lethargy, biting his hip area, obesity, a "bunny hopping" walk, perhaps an arched back.

3 - x-ray showed small spurs of bone in the rear knee joints, more pronounced in the right than left.
4 - Initially 0.2ml metacam 1.5mg/ml but he showed signs of pain in the evenings (drug administered in the morning). Switched to 0.1ml morning and night and this suits him perfectly.

5 - Amazing difference after about a week. Increased activity after about 3 days, a week later on 0.2ml metacam daily he was running and jumping in the morning (but sore in the evening). Once we switched to 0.1ml twice daily he is very active, very playful, running, climbing, popcorning, behaving dominantly again e.g. mounting and rumblestrutting, you name it.

6 - Obesity, inability to regulate body heat. Originally rescued from a neglect case at 3 weeks old by a charity so very undernourished early in life.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ?p=1684179