Show your cage III

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 am

Tequiza is one smart and agile pig! The sleeping berth looks comfy!

TexCavy

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

She seems to like it. Counting her, I have had three pigs that have used a berth like that. Well, I had one more that did on rare occasions, but three that used one frequently.

Maisiesmom
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Suggestions please? I've already been through guineapigcages without finding an answer.

I want to modify my C&C arrangement to make two identically sized cages, one on top of the other. My current set-up is a 2x4.67 cage raised 1 grid above the floor for storage with a sort of L-shaped area as a second level. I want to expand the 2nd level to a full 2x4.67 but need (obviously) to access the lower cage too.

I remember seeing someone's cage set-up that included modified plastic connectors that enabled you to remove the front grids of a lower cage for cleaning purposes. Putting a full grid between the two cages would raise level 2 above where I could easily clean or see it. Does anyone remember these connectors?

(Just for background, my motivation is a big happy boar that someone found out by the garbage near-by. I have a single sow right now and a bonded pair; neutered boar and sow. I have an excellent cavey vet and want to neuter happy Hunk so he can live with my single lady.

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:55 pm

First off good vibes for the neuter and the pairing when the time comes.

I'm not sure I know what your actual issue is though. Do you mean it will be harder, because you have overlapped grids or something, to make it the size you have? Sorry I don't recall the modified plastic connectors. Unless it was mine. Once upon a time I cut a plastic connector just past the halfway mark. Meaning I had enough left to fasten with, but the excess on the other side was cut off. Its a dangerous job the way I cut mine in half, but surely there is a safer way.

lissie

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 pm

For stacked cage, try something like this.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/sh ... user/12590

You can clean the bottom without sliding in and out the tray.

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:45 am

I had a stacked 2x4, I enlarged it saturaday to a 2x5, the front folds down on both levels for cleaning but I didn't use connectors at all just cable ties.

Honestly, I've been sitting here with a connector in my hand for 10 minutes holding it up to my cage and trying to invision how it would work, if it would work, and I'm just not sure that it's practical. Perhaps I just haven't had enoug coffee yet. I'll keep thinking about it.

Also, the only way I can see to cut the connectors would be to put them in a vise and use a hack saw. You might try a jig saw or a reciprocating saw but really since they are so small that would take a very steady hand. I'm almost afraid to ask....how did you cut yours, Tex?

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:05 pm

I held it still with lock tight pliers

and cut with a kitchen saw like this.

This how the pliers gripped the connector and next to it is the cut connector.

Hunybee

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I have to ask, Did you slip at all?

I would have, at some point, slipped and cut some vital appendage.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Oh yeah. I always seem to cut myself repeatedly when remodelling cages. I have the scars to prove it and somewhere in there is my blood under the tape that hold the base together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Vicegrips are great!

You can also use a bare hacksaw blade. They aren't very sharp but slowly but surely cut through the plastic without jumping around.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Wow, this is getting dangerous. Snicker.

Calvin + Hobes

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:11 pm

LOL! Tex, has anyone ever told you that you are a very determined woman? I've got to show this thread to DH so he won't think I'm the only one!

After a little thought, and deciding that cutting connectors sounded like no fun, I think that if I wanted to build a cage using connectors and have the entire front serve as a drop down door I'd do it by building the front panel seperately with connectors at the top and a strip of plexiglas at the bottom. If you drill holes in the plexi to maintain the correct spacing of the grids and fasted the bottom of the grids to the plexi with cable ties that match your grids. I don't think anyone will notice that the connectors aren't there. If you put the plexi on the inside it could also serve as a giant window on the fronts of the cage. Then if you fasten the front panel to the floor of the level with several cable ties they'll serve as hinges so the panel will swing down to open. On my cage I use the heavy black twist ties, like power cords are always wrapped up with, to hold the front panels closed.

I've had enough coffee now so, I hope that makes sense. I can see it in my head, and it looks nice, but 'splaining it is something else. ;)