Jessie and the vet.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 am

Well what a day, I am having troubles with my Internet going very slow and dropping out so will make this quick.
Jessie surprised everyone including us on how well she got through the surgery yesterday (Wednesday) she was done-started at 5.07pm and finished at 6.14pm and after 20 minutes she was walking though wobbly and she was eating.
She doesn't appear to be in pain, though NOT sure what to look for, have a bottle of Metacam incase-cost me $50.00 for the bottle, have some Tribrissen tablets which Jessie get's an eighth of a tablet twice a day, she has some protexin (probiotic) where she get's quarter of a sachet a day. She is also going to the vet every day apart from Sunday's and New Year's Day to have wound flushed. The vet wants to flush it again to make sure NO infection get's in there. As I am writing this Jessie is eating some Timothy hay.
I am so thankful she made it through the surgery, Ian dropped her off at 12.30pm, around 4.30pm we went to the surgery, and we refused to leave until Jessie was done and could come home. We were going crazy at home with worry.
Going to keep up the C&C and veggie juice every 4 hours until we see improvement in the weight department.
Boy has it been hot yesterday, will keep you posted and many thanks to one and all, both Ian and I are just so happy! We have everything crossed this will be the LAST time.

Thank you for being there! Kirsten our vet wants to know if we know of anyone who can do dental work on molars at back of the mouth of a piggy. Was wondering if you vet knew of anyone in South Australia? As she said when she got in there yesterday a guinea pigs mouth is so narrow and small and NOT much room to work.
I forgot to ask Kirsten our vet wants to know if we know of anyone who can do dental work on molars at back of the mouth of a piggy. Was wondering if anyone knew of a vet in South Australia? As she said when she got in there yesterday a guinea pigs mouth is so narrow and small and NOT much room to work. Especially with the big fiddly dental tools she has wh9ich are for a rodent but are too big for a piggy and you need 6 arms to use it and to work in a piggies mouth.
So any help or advise much appreciated. I know most of you are in the UK but some one may know of some one. I can but ask. Many thanks.
Have just syringe fed Jessie NOT sure how much a piggy should have as should imagine they have a tiny tummy and I know they store food in their cheeks, but Jessie had 10 X 1ml of Critical care, 7 X 1ml of veggie juice and 1.5 X 1ml of pre boiled water and she still wanted more and is now eating her veggies in her bowl
Will keep you posted and I just want to say thanks.
Am hoping this is a good side, if it wasn't for her wound and blood on her left side of her face you would NEVER know she had surgery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 am

Here are the signs of pain: www.guinealynx.info/.html

Hope she continues to do well!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 am

Well Jessie has been to the quite a few times since my last report, and the nurses have NOT let us go with Jessie to watch and learn how to flush a wound. Now on Saturday Jan 2nd Jessie had lost weight and was 790grams. On Tuesday Jan 5th she was weighed again and she was 803grams, today Wednesday Jan 6th she was weighed again and she was 840grams. The nurses said there was more pus in the wound today, guess it was from my massaging the area.
Have made an appointment to see the vet Saturday as Jessie needs her ears clean, I tried to do it with olive oil and she would not let me, she also needs her front teeth cheeked as when we wipe her mouth the towel catches on the teeth and was wondering whether they grew when Jessie was not eating hay.
Have heard from the RSPCA and they reckon Jessie's problems sound genetic but that seems strange as it took 3 years to begin. Have also heard from the vet association who gave me names of some vets which I have emailed the details to my vet, so am hoping we can discuss it on Saturday.
Jessie's poops are still on the soft side looking like custard but colour normal. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am

A curved tip syringe and warm sterile saline solution can be used to flush it. I don't know why they can't show you how.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 pm

Took Jessie to the vet today and she has another abscess, same spot as the last two. The vet can not operate till Wednesday of next week.
Am also suppossed to massage area(which I have been doing) and HOT flannel as compress, squeeze area to get pus out.
The vet is in a quandry as she is upset it has come back again and doesn't know what to do in the best interest of Jessie. She is going to do what she has done on last 2 occassions and that is to Marsupuial the area.
Jessie has also lost 60grams and is now back under 900grams.
The vet has prescribed FLAGYL S SUSPENSION 100MLS where I give her 4.4mls atwice a day and I was wondering if this medication was safe for guinea pigs. Remember Baytril affected Jessie and she stopped eating and urinating and pooping which is why Jessie is not on it.
Any help much appreciated, HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm

Ask the vet to prescribe Bactrim. Ask for a longer course, such as 3, preferably 4 weeks. Unfortunately, abscesses are known to reoccur especially if they were deep ones.

Fingers crossed for Jessie!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 pm

Ditto Bytx, but Flagyl (metronidazole) is safe for guinea pigs in the meantime. It's not a true antibiotic per se; it's an antimicrobial that can get rid of some bacteria, protozoans, etc. etc. various and sundry things. It's generally very well tolerated (unlike Baytril can be).

Having said that, what is the concentration? 4.4 mL twice a day is an enormous amount of medication for a small animal.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

Oh, wow! I missed that part entirely :( I need more sleep.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 am

Sorry I made a mistake it is suppossed to be point 4.4mls. Someone suggested Zitheromax for the treatment of abscesses. I was told by the vet NOT to dilute the Flagyl just give it straight twice a day.
A normal day for us is at 7.ooam syringe fed and Tribesian. At 11.00am syringe fed and Flagyl. At 3.00pm syringe fed and Protexin (probiotic) at 6.30pm syringe fed and Tribesian. At 9.00pm syringe fed and at 11.30pm syringe fed and Flagyl. Each time I try to get the flannel hot and use as a compress, and I massage the area for 5 minutes.
I am also cutting up her food is small pieces, I syringe feed Critical care and Veggie juice(Veggies I put through a juicer, so whilst she is not eating she is still getting the goodness from veggies. Like Celery, grass, carrott tops, capsicum, rock melon (cantelope), Carrott, buk choi, spinach leaves, baby spinach to name some).
As she is not drinking water she is also being syringe fed water.
Jessie's abscesses have all been manible(on the jaw) ones.
Many thanks for your help.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 am

I forgot to add Jessie is also syringe fed at 3.00am and then I go to bed till 7.00am and start the day again. So she is syringe fed 7 times a day and has medicine 5 times a day. She has been on the Tribesian since 30th of December. But when she went off them for 3 days in february she went off her food and the temp went up. Again many thanks and hoping you all have a Blessed happy Easter.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Lord. I'd be dead by now on that schedule and so would the pig. Kudos to you for caring for her so well.

Zithromax is azithromycin, one of the fatal AB's. It has been used successfully, with great care, but to me it would be a med of last resort. You may get to that point, but hopefully you will not.

It sounds to me (this is a guess only) that the Tribesian (Tribissen? sulfa trimeth) is containing the abscess but not curing it. If she tolerates the med well, that is not the end of the world.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Wow, I couldn't do it either! I think those are "mother" kind of hours (when babies don't sleep). My kids are lucky they lived through their baby years :-)

It does seem like it is not kicking it out. Chloramphenicol, if tolerated, might help some.